Teen assaulted in Port Alberni leaves hospital

School District 70 superintendent Cam Pinkerton said the student intends to return to school, and doesn't want to be defined by the attack.

Crown counsel is seeking to try a young offender in adult court for the brutal sexual assault on a teenage girl near Roger Creek Park last month.

The 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named because he is a young offender, is facing four charges including attempted murder, aggravated sexual assault, sexual assault with a weapon and the attempt to strangle the 16-year-old girl who was out walking by herself in the early evening of May 21.

Crown is expected to make that application on July 25. The boy has been in custody since May 22.

RCMP spokeswoman Jen Allan said the girl was released two weeks ago, from a hospital in Victoria.

“She has received a tremendous amount of community support,” Allan said.

School district 70 superintendent Cam Pinkerton met with the girl on Monday.

“She will be coming back to school [in the fall],” Pinkerton said. “She is safe, very happy and handling things nicely now.”

Pinkerton added that he is purposely not saying much publicly about the girl because the family does not want their daughter to be remembered for what happened to her.

reporter@albernivalleynews.com