The next art exhibit begins Sept. 22 and will run until Oct. 17 featuring Port Alberni’s very own AV Photo Club. This group show will have a broad range of local photographs, by this talented group of photographers, amateur and professional. Mark your calendars for their artist reception, Sat. 26 from 1-3 p.m. in the gallery.
Annual summer closure
The Rollin Art Centre will be closed for its annual summer closure beginning Tuesday Aug. 25th and re-open Tues. Sept. 8th at 11. See you all then!
Pool mural unveiling
The Pool Mural Project will have its official unveiling to the public, Wed. Sept. 9 at 6:30 pm. with a FREE everyone swim, to kick off the new look at Echo Pool. Come out and join all our local artists who contributed their time and effort into creating these one-of-a kind West Coast Aquatic themed murals.
Current art exhibit
Titled “My View of Nature Close Up and Away” this exquisite art exhibit is currently on at the Rollin Art Centre’s Gallery until Sept. 19, featuring watercolour artist Judi Pedder. Judi is showcasing her collection of flower portraits and landscapes.
Watercolour painting class
This class is meant for adults who are interested in learning the basics of watercolour painting; beginning with monochromatic (one colour) painting to two colour and then onto multicolour paintings proceeding in a step-by-step fashion so that each technique is understood before we move onto the next.
We will paint a variety of subjects from still life to landscape culminating in an optional subject for the last class. The pace of this class will be relaxed so that each person can proceed at their own speed.
A supply list is available at Echo. The instructor is Cynthia Bonesky. Classes run from Oct. 13 – Dec. 8 (no class Oct. 27) 7– 9 p.m. Price for the eight classes is $145.
Choir members wanted
Timbre! Choir is looking for new members in all sections for their 43rd season. Rehearsals commence Monday, Sept. 14. Please contact Pat Venn at 250-723-2380 or Patricia Miller at 250-390-7508 for more detailed information. Check us out on Facebook and our website www.timbrechoir.com.
What’s on at Char’s:
• Thursday, Aug 27 , 7-9 p.m., Alberni Valley Words on Fire! Spoken word open mic featuring Stephen Novik
• Friday, Aug. 28, 7 p.m., Critical Mass Bike Ride. Celebrating Cyclists of all abilities departs Char’s at 7 p.m.
• Friday, Aug. 28, 8-10 p.m., Social – LGBT hosted by Colin Simister
• Saturday, Aug 29, 8-10 p.m., Concert – Don Alder
• Sunday, Aug 30 , 8-10 p.m., Concert – Sean Hogan – Roots/ Country/ Folk Rock
• Tuesday, Sept 1, 7-9 p.m., Concert – Supernatural Buffalo Band Summer Tour – psychedelic free folk
• Sunday, Sept 6, 8-10 p.m., Concert – Simon Kempston – award-winning Scottish songwriter and leading fingerstyle guitarist
• Saturday, Sept. 12, 8-10 p.m., Concert – Tanner James
• Tuesday, Sept 15, 7-9 p.m., Concert – Jory Kinjo – Western Canadian Tour – acoustic soul &
• Wed., Sept. 16 , 6-9 p.m., Alberni Valley Transition Town Society 6 p.m. meeting. Film at 7 p.m., Passive House
Melissa Martin is the Arts Administrator for the Community Arts Council, at the Rollin Art Centre and writes for the Alberni Valley News.