Leila Sturgeon performs daily physiotherapy on her son Ethan

Leila Sturgeon performs daily physiotherapy on her son Ethan

A breath of hope for Ethan: Alberni baby battles CF

Port Alberni family's world turns upside down as baby is diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, a common but fatal genetic disease.

When Leila Sturgeon received that phone call from the doctor’s office to come in, she went numb. She was asked to come in to discuss the results from a routine newborn screening test done on her then two-week-old baby, Ethan Ellwood. She hoped, perhaps irrationally, she later thought, the results from a simple pin prick on one of Ethan’s tiny feet would somehow pertain to her and not her seemingly healthy, newborn son.

Unfortunately it was about Ethan. He was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis (CF), a common but fatal genetic disease that has no cure.

“It was a total surprise,” Sturgeon said, describing the day she got the news from the doctor. “CF did cross my mind only because I looked it up and it’s one of the diseases they test from this heel prick. I had said something to my mother and she said, ‘don’t worry about it, it’s not in our family.’”

Ethan’s dad, Keith Ellwood also didn’t think the gene was in his family either.

“Absolute confusion,” Ellwood said, explaining his first reaction when Sturgeon called him after getting the news. “There was no history of cystic fibrosis in either of our families.”

CF is a genetic disorder that affects mostly the lungs but can also affect the pancreas, liver and intestine. CF sufferers are unable to digest and absorb nutrients from food and their lung fills up with thick mucous, making it difficult to breathe.

For a child to be born with CF, both parents must be carriers of the gene. Carriers do not have CF but there is a 25 per cent chance that carrier couples will have a child with CF. Carriers also have a 50 per cent chance of having a child that is a carrier and a 25 per cent chance that their child will be completely unaffected.

Both Sturgeon and Ellwood looked within their families to see who may have had CF. Neither were able to pinpoint a person with certainty, but Ellwood may have come close to at least one.

“I talked to my dad who is one of those family tree guys and I don’t remember which relative, but there was a great, great something, two or three generations ago that died at an early age with pneumonia or something,” Ellwood explained. “It hadn’t been considered that it may have been cystic fibrosis until now.”

“People died young back then,” Sturgeon added.

The average life expectancy for a child born with CF in Canada is now about 40 years, a huge jump from under five in the 1950s and 14 years in the 1980s.

An estimated one in 3,600 children born in Canada has CF, making it the most common fatal genetic disease affecting children and young adults.

The couple went to Victoria General Hospital the next day to meet with various doctors and experts to discuss Ethan’s care. Ethan currently takes almost a dozen pills, which will increase to 60 as he gets older, at various times in a day to ward off infections and help him digest food. Ethan also goes through three sessions of physiotherapy that lasts at least 30 minutes but can last up to 90 minutes depending on how cooperative he is.

The physiotherapy was tough to perform at first.

“It’s basically beating him on the chest in different areas of his lungs,” Sturgeon said, adding she was in shock when she first saw the physiotherapist perform the therapy on her newborn son. “Keith had to do it first because I couldn’t and it was uncomfortable. Ethan hates it but unfortunately it has to be done.”

The patting on different areas of the chest and then vibration is meant to loosen mucous buildup in the lungs and help Ethan cough up anything that may be in there.

Eventually, Ethan will have to perform this physiotherapy on himself.

Luckily for both parents and Ethan, Ethan has no problem sleeping and at least one physio session can be performed on him while he’s sleeping.

Researchers identified the CF gene in 1989 and in January 2012 the U.S. Food and Drug administration approved the first drug that fixes a genetic mutation in some CF sufferers.

However, treatment for one year is about $300,000 and this particular drug does not address Ethan’s version of CF. There are more than 1,500 different CF mutations, but Ethan has the most common one, delta F508.

“I’m just hoping that we will have a little pill for Ethan before he starts school,” Sturgeon added.

Last Sunday, about 30 of Sturgeon’s and Ellwood’s family, friends and co-workers attended the CF Great Strides Walk in Nanaimo under the Team Ethan banner, raising more than $5,300. Donations are still being accepted and can be made by going online to www.cysticfibrosis.ca/greatstrides and searching “Team Ethan” under team search and Nanaimo as the location.

Just Posted

AW Neill Elementary School in Port Alberni. (NEWS FILE PHOTO)
SD70 chooses new name for AW Neill School in Port Alberni

New name honours Nuu-chah-nulth Peoples’ connection to region

Douglas Holmes, current Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District chief administrative officer, is set to take on that position at the Regional District of Nanaimo come late August. (Submitted photo)
Regional District of Nanaimo’s next CAO keen to work on building partnerships

Douglas Holmes to take over top administrator role with RDN this summer

Ron MacDonald fields questions at a news conference in Halifax on Sept. 27, 2011. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan
Finding ‘comfortable’ indigenous monitor tough task in Tofino-area shooting death

Julian Jones case hampered by difficulty finding a civilian comfortable with privacy protocols

Port Alberni RCMP officer in command Insp. Eric Rochette presents longtime community policing volunteer Louie Aumair with a OIC appreciation certificate. (SUBMITTED PHOTO)
Port Alberni RCMP honour longtime volunteer

First responders receive support from broader community

The Dock+ is located on Harbour Road in Port Alberni. (SUSAN QUINN / Alberni Valley News)
PROGRESS 2021: Port Alberni’s food hub still growing a year later

The Dock hopes to open a retail store on Alberni’s busy waterfront

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau participates in a plenary session at the G7 Summit in Carbis Bay, England on Friday June 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Canada donating 13M surplus COVID-19 vaccine doses to poor countries

Trudeau says the government will pay for 87 million shots to be distributed to poor countries

Premier John Horgan speaks as provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry, right, and health minister Adrian Dix look on during a press conference to update on the province’s fall pandemic preparedness plan during a press conference from the press theatre at Legislature in Victoria, Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
B.C. officials to provide details on Step 2 of COVID reopening plan Monday

Step 2 could allow for larger gatherings and a resumption of recreational travel

Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller is seen during a news conference, Wednesday May 19, 2021 in Ottawa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Indigenous child-welfare battle heads to court despite calls for Ottawa to drop cases

Feds are poised to argue against two Canadian Human Rights Tribunal rulings

The Great Ogopogo Bathtub Race has been held in Summerland as a fundraising event. Do you know which Canadian city introduced this sport? (Black Press file photo)
QUIZ: A summer’s day at the water

How much do you know about boats, lakes and water?

Two-year-old Ivy McLeod laughs while playing with Lucky the puppy outside their Chilliwack home on Thursday, June 10, 2021. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress)
VIDEO: B.C. family finds ‘perfect’ puppy with limb difference for 2-year-old Ivy

Ivy has special bond with Lucky the puppy who was also born with limb difference

A million-dollar ticket was sold to an individual in Vernon from the Lotto Max draw Friday, June 11, 2021. (Photo courtesy of BCLC)
Lottery ticket worth $1 million sold in Vernon

One lucky individual holds one of 20 tickets worth $1 million from Friday’s Lotto Max draw

Cannabis bought in British Columbia (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

“65 years, I’ve carried the stories in my mind and live it every day,” says Jack Kruger. (Athena Bonneau)
‘Maybe this time they will listen’: Survivor shares stories from B.C. residential school

Jack Kruger, living in Syilx territory, wasn’t surprised by news of 215 children’s remains found on the grounds of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School

Most Read