The Canadian Cancer Society has cancelled the 2013 Port Alberni Relay for Life that was scheduled to take place June 22-23 at Bob Dailey Stadium.
“The decision was made (Thursday, May 16, 2013) at noon that due to the small number of teams and participants, it was just not going to be feasible to put the event on,” community giving coordinator Melissa Bigmore said.
“We ran into a number of challenges this season. It’s very unfortunate that we had to go to this length.”
The Relay for Life has been a mainstay in the Alberni Valley since the mid-2000s, typically running the third weekend in June.
The decision is personally disappointing to Bigmore, who joined the relay several years ago after her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.
“It’s definitely a sad occasion for me. I am truly disheartened that this has happened,” she said. “My heart goes out to those survivors that were going to be experiencing their first relay. It saddens me that they won’t be able to do that in their community.”
Eleven teams of up to 12 people had signed up for the 2013 relay, and had already raised more than $5,000. That money will still go towards the cancer society.
Bigmore said she and other cancer society volunteers are encouraging teams to join the Relay for Life in Nanaimo, taking place Friday, June 14 at 7 p.m. until Saturday, June 15 at 7 a.m. at Nanaimo’s Rotary Bowl.
“We are hopeful in 2014 things will be different,” she added.