Burned out Beaufort tenants find new digs

Tenants displaced by a fire at the Beaufort Hotel have found new digs, but when they can move back into the hotel is up in the air.

Tenants displaced by a fire at the Beaufort Hotel last week have found new digs, but when they can move back into their rooms at the hotel is up in the air.

Fire crews responded to a call about a fire at the hotel on Sept. 13 after 11 p.m, Deputy Fire Chief Chris Jancowski said.

There, firemen took minutes to douse a blaze in a room on the second floor.

The building sustained smoke and water damage, but the sprinkler system prevented the fire from growing.

“It did its job,” Jancowski said.

The fire displaced approximately 12-15 tenants, who were housed in alternative accommodations for four nights via emergency social services.

More permanent accommodations are in place now, said BC Housing outreach worker Mark Cairney.

“The Canadian Mental Health Association has some, the (Port Alberni) shelter has a few, and (owner Paul) Saroya has housed some at his other facilities,” Cairney said.

Residents are anxious and under stress about their situation and some with health issues have a problem with things like stairs at their new accommodations. “But there’s not exactly an overabundance of housing in town so this is it,” he said.

Mental health and addictions workers attended to the fire scene and have helped tenants with medication and personal needs, Cairney said.

Officials have determined that the cause of the fire is human, but Jancowski couldn’t say exactly how it was started.

Building owner Paul Saroya said restoration crews have been busy since last weekend repairing damage to the building.

Crews are waiting for the inside to dry before an electrician can come in to perform repairs, Saroya said. After repairs are made, the building has to be inspected before tenants will be allowed back in, he added.

According to Saroya, the fire started in one of the rooms. While the sprinkler system contained the fire,  there were problems shutting it off afterward, he said. “It didn’t completely shut off after and water leaked all over and through the ceiling,” he said.

As well, he will have to replace a door that firemen kicked in to get tenants out who were unaware of the fire.

reporter@valleynews.com

Twitter.com/AlberniNews

Just Posted

Wedding plans derailed following City of Port Alberni’s train announcement

Five wedding parties are scrambling to find alternate transportation arrangements to McLean… Continue reading

Kids help Alberni Aquarium build rockfish luminary for next exhibit

Swimming For Change takes over in time for spring break

Spring fishery closures mulled for south coast

Fewer fish are returning to rivers and more conservation needed, say feds

One dead, two seriously injured in Hwy 4 crash west of Port Alberni

A man has died following a single-vehicle collision west of Port Alberni… Continue reading

Risk of ‘deadly avalanches’ leads to warning for B.C.’s south coast

Weak layer of snow on Vancouver Island, Lower Mainland could trigger an avalanche

National Energy Board approves Trans Mountain pipeline again

Next step includes cabinet voting on the controversial expansion

Two more measles cases confirmed in Vancouver

It brings the number of total cases within the city connected to the outbreak to ten

B.C. Special Olympics officially underway in Vernon

Athlete’s Oath: “Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.”

Vancouver Aquarium wants your help to name a baby killer whale

The public helped name Springer’s first calf, Spirit, and is being asked to help with the second

Guards protest firing of fellow officers charged with assault at B.C. prison

Corrections officers demonstrated in Maple Ridge on Friday afternoon

Skier dies at Revelstoke Mountain Resort

Cause of death for young man has not been released

R. Kelly charged with 10 counts of sexual abuse

R&B star has been accused of sexual misconduct involving women and underage girls for years

More sailings coming to 10 BC Ferries’ routes

Transportation Minister Claire Trevena said the sailings were originally cut in 2014

Most Read