NOTE: This list will be updated at the end of the nomination period at 4 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 10.
With the end of the local election nomination period coming up, a slew of candidates have submitted their nominations for mayor, city council, regional district and school trustee positions.
As of 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 8, the mayoral candidates were:
• Mike Ruttan
• John Douglas (incumbent)
• Jacques Savard
• Hira Chopra
• Kevin Wright
• Cindy Solda
As of 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 8, the council candidates were:
• Charles Thomas
• Monty Mearns
• Chris Alemany
• Ian Thomas
• Paul Pley
• Sharie Minions
• James Edwards
• Ron Paulson
• Jack McLeman (incumbent)
• Dennis Sauve
• Annette Clement
• Malcolm Menninga
• Seva Dhaliwal
• Dan Washington (incumbent)
• Penny Cote
• Bill Randles
As of 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 7, regional district candidates were:
• Mike Kokura (Beaufort, incumbent)
• Penny Cote (Sproat Lake, incumbent)
• Tony Bennett (Long Beach, incumbent)
• Dennis Dalla-Vicenza (Cherry Creek)
• John McNabb (incumbent, Beaver Creek)
• Keith Wyton (Bamfield)
• Lucas Banton (Cherry Creek, incumbent)
As of 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 7, SD70 school trustee candidates were:
• John Bennie (incumbent)
• Pam Craig (incumbent)
• Dennis Dalla-Vicenza
• Irene Jacobson
• Gaelle Frey (incumbent)
•Larry Ransom (incumbent)
• Michael McLeman
• Gurmail Aujla (West Coast, incumbent)
The nomination period ends at 4 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 10.
Candidates can still file their papers by appointment until then at either city hall or the regional district office.
Several all-candidates are already planned. The Alberni Valley Chamber of Commerce and the Port Alberni & District Labour Council are hosting two:
• Mayoral candidates on Thursday, Oct. 23 at 7 p.m. at the Barclay Hotel at 4277 Stamp Ave
• Council candidates on Tuesday, Oct. 28 at 7 p.m. at the Steelworkers Hall at 4904 Montrose St.
• The ADSS Social Justice 12 class is hosting an all-candidates meeting for both mayoral and council candidates at the ADSS theatre on Wednesday, Oct. 29 from 10:15-11:35 a.m.
All of the all-candidate meetings are free and open to the public.