Court awards nearly $14M to Island First Nation

Port Alberni-area Huu-ay-aht First Nation compensated for two decades of timber harvesting

  • Dec. 15, 2016 6:00 a.m.

A Huu-ay-aht First Nations member works on a log boom in the HFN’s treaty settlement lands northeast of Bamfield.

A federal tribunal has ruled a Vancouver Island First Nation should get more than $13.8 million  in compensation for government failure to ensure it was properly compensated for two decades of timber harvesting.

On Monday, the Canadian Specific Claims Tribunal awarded the Port Alberni-area Huu-ay-aht First Nations that sum in connection with logging that took place on the former Numukamis reserve between 1948 and 1969.

The decision confirms what the Huu-ay-aht should have been compensated in today’s dollars and follows a 2014 ruling that Canada had not acted in the band’s best interests in a deal that left the First Nation with far less than it should have recieved for its timber.

“Today is a great day for Huu-ay-aht First Nations,” Chief Councillor Robert J. Dennis Sr. said in a media release. “Justice has been served almost 68 years after Canada refused to protect our timber interests.

Huu-ay-aht filed a claim with the Tribunal in 2011. Huu-ay-aht chiefs petitioned Canada at the time of the logging operations, asserting that the licence should be cancelled, to no avail.

The tribunal was established in 2008 to hear claims by First Nations regarding past wrongs when resolution cannot be reached through negotiations.

“This is truly amazing for myself in the position and responsibility I have for my Huu-ay-aht tribe,” Tayii Ḥaw̓ ił ƛiiš in (Derek Peters) explained. “In the name I carry as head chief, it’s a huge accomplishment. I know taking this on was in the hands of the ƛiiš ins before me, and now seeing it come to a decision is very amazing for my family and the entire Huu-ay-aht Nation. It was those leaders before my time who put us on this path, and now I get to see it happen in my time.”

Dennis said he is hopeful that the Minister of Indigenous Affairs, Caroline Bennett and the Minister of Justice, Jody Wilson-Raybould, will choose the path of reconciliation over the path of court appeals. Together we have an opportunity to advance the important work of long term reconciliation.”

 

Just Posted

Stephen Novik takes the mic at Words on Fire in Port Alberni

Event takes place Aug. 29 at Char’s Landing

Port Alberni pickleball winners announced

Men and women competed in annual Nick Hoekstra tourney

Brothers win Mac Five Challenge at Alberni Golf Course

Congratulations to the Savard Brothers, Mike and Andre, on their spectacular win

Interactive art exhibit in Port Alberni challenges stigma

‘Stigmatized’ presented by the Port Alberni Community Action Team

ARTS AROUND: Learn felting techniques at the Rollin Art Centre in Port Alberni

Saltspring Island artist Laurie Steffler will present two felting workshops

UPDATE: Wildfire east of Port Alberni under control

Crews continue to mop up 3.1-hectare fire

Warrant issued for man who wielded machete near Nanaimo’s tent city last year

William Robert Francis Carrigan failed to appear in provincial court in Nanaimo on Tuesday

New study suggests autism overdiagnosed: Canadian expert

Laurent Mottron: ‘Autistic people we test now are less and less different than typical people’

B.C. father tells judge he did not kill his young daughters

Andrew Berry pleaded not guilty to the December 2017 deaths

Trans Mountain gives contractors 30 days to get workers, supplies ready for pipeline

Crown corporation believes the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria case in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Retired B.C. fisherman wins record $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

Most Read