A Port Alberni firefighter enters a house on Redford Street to check for smoke after crews doused a fire in a basement dryer

A Port Alberni firefighter enters a house on Redford Street to check for smoke after crews doused a fire in a basement dryer

Dryer catches fire in Port Alberni home

Fire crews were called to a dryer fire in a basement of a home on Redford Street.

No one was injured after a clothes dryer caught fire in the basement of a Redford Street home in Port Alberni, Wednesday afternoon (March 30, 2016).

Three trucks from the Port Alberni Fire Department responded to the call of a structure fire on Redford shortly after 6 p.m.

“It appears to be a dryer fire at this time,” PAFD deputy fire chief Wes Patterson said. “It was confined to the dryer.”

One lane of Redford Street was expected to reopen somewhere around 7 p.m. after crews assessed the rest of the house and cleared it of smoke, Patterson added.

While crews hadn’t determined what started the fire, Patterson cautioned people to make sure their dryer lint trap is cleaned out after every load of laundry, and that hoses are also cleaned regularly.

“Dryers need to be cleaned on a regular basis,” he said.

“A working smoke detector is also really important to have, on all floors.”

editor@albernivalleynews.com