Two Duncan found guilty of aggravated sexual assault in violent case. (File photo)

Duncan cousins found guilty of aggravated sexual assault

Assault so violent, victim required surgery

RELATED: Duncan man has sexual assault conviction overturned

Two Duncan men have been found guilty of aggravated sexual assault after an incident at a home on June 26, 2016.

B.C. Supreme Court Justice Catherine Murray found Nicholas Des Charlie and Abraham Charles Percy Louie guilty of the charges following a recent trial at the Duncan courthouse.

According to court documents, the victim was so severely injured in the genital area that she required surgery.

The assault took place in a residence on Whut’stun Road where a group of people were having a drinking party in one of the rooms.

The victim had a sister at the party, where Charlie and Louie were also drinking, and decided to attend.

After consuming a significant amount of alcohol and passing out for a while, the victim woke to find herself alone with Charlie and Louie, who are cousins, and tried to leave the room.

But Louie grabbed her arm to prevent her from leaving.

The victim said in a statement that she then felt her vagina being penetrated and she blacked out again.

She said she was still in the room when she came to some time later and took a couple of steps into the hallway before collapsing.

Her sister found her there in the morning with no pants on and bleeding heavily from her vaginal area.

She also had bruises all over her face, head, arms and legs.

Both Louie and Charlie were found sleeping in the room where the assault occurred.

While both denied the charges, Murray said there was enough evidence, including from DNA testing and circumstantial, to find them guilty of the charges.

Murray acknowledged that how the victim was assaulted is unknown, what each man did is unknown and what they assaulted the victim with is unknown.

“What is known is that the victim entered the room with no injuries and she left that room bruised, battered and seriously injured,” she said in her summation.

“While I am uncertain as to whether Mr. Charlie or Mr. Louie personally assaulted the victim or whether they aided and abetted the sexual assault, having considered all the evidence and all the circumstances, I am satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that both accused were parties to the attack on [the victim].”

Sentencing of Charlie and Louie is expected at a later date.



robert.barron@cowichanvalleycitizen.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

Port Alberni residents fighting with BC Ferries

Medically assured loading aboard ferries welcomed by Islanders

Canal Beach in Port Alberni open for swimming

Beach had been closed in July after high bacteria readings were detected in the water

North Island College offers resources for students learning online

College will hold a ‘virtual orientation’ this week

QUIZ: How much do you know about British Columbia?

On this B.C. Day long weekend, put your knowledge of our province to the test

Port Alberni company earns $10,000 grant from Canadian Chamber of Commerce

Company produces specialized equipment for large-scale mining, logging machinery

VIDEO: Otter pups learn to swim at B.C. wildlife rescue facility

Watch Critter Care’s Nathan Wagstaffe help seven young otters go for their first dip

Canadians can travel to Hawaii in September; no quarantine with negative COVID test

Travellers will be required to pay for their own tests prior to arriving

Pay cuts, seating charts, COVID screening: How one B.C. venue is bringing back concerts

A growing number of bars and restaurants are welcoming back musicians under COVID-19 precautions

Alberta to require masks at schools this fall, but still no mandate in B.C.

B.C. students are also set to return to classrooms in September

Cooler days help crews fighting fire on mountainside southwest of Nanaimo

Firefighters making progress, but it’s ‘slow-going,’ says B.C. Wildfire Service

Crews work overnight to try to put out wildfire on Pender Island

Fire department and B.C. Wildfire Service crews extinguishing fire in ‘extremely difficult terrain’

Michael Buble among 13 British Columbians to receive Order of B.C.

Ceremony will be delayed to 2021 due to COVID-19

U.S. border communities feel loss of Canadian tourists, shoppers and friends

Restrictions on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border have been in place since March 2`

Most Read