An electrical fire on Third Avenue near Bruce Street has displaced five people, according to Port Alberni fire Chief Tim Pley.
An automatic aid call sent Port Alberni, Beaver Creek and Sproat Lake fire crews to respond to the early morning blaze.
“An early morning fire with five people in a suite apartment building were displaced by a fire,” said Pley. “The fire started in the electrical room and spread somewhat in the stud spaces of the building. We’ve got the hydro disconnected and we’re opening up some walls to make sure it’s out. But it’s in hand.”
Five people will be displaced, Pley added.
No cause has been determined yet.
“It was in the electrical room so that’s and indicator but it’s too early to tell,” said Pley.
“Electrical rooms are supposed to be secured so we’ll want to know if it was locked.”