An apartment building at the corner of Melrose & Second Ave caught fire a little before midnight on Thursday

An apartment building at the corner of Melrose & Second Ave caught fire a little before midnight on Thursday

Fire survivors need help

The Port Alberni Shelter Society has started an initiative to help the victims of the fire replace what they’ve lost.

The Port Alberni Shelter Society has started an initiative to help the victims of the fire replace what they’ve lost, society executive director Wes Hewitt said.

The electrical charging cord was the cause of the fire that broke out in an apartment building on Second and Melrose a little before midnight on Thursday, April 16.

“We determined it was caused by an electrical cord used to charge the scooter,” said Port Alberni Fire Department Chief Tim Pley, adding that “it appears to be accidental.”

“These people have lost everything,” Hewitt said. “The important things are a bed, sheets, pillowcases, blankets, towels, dishes, pots and pans… they’re starting from scratch and re-setting up a house,” Hewitt said.

“If you were somebody young and it was your first house and you were moving, that’s exactly what these people need.”

To coordinate donations and get the necessary items to each person, the shelter is asking people to phone rather than just drop items off at the shelter. For more information about what’s necessary and to find out where to deliver the items, call 778-421-0076 weekdays between 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. On weekends and during daylight hours after 4 p.m., call Cindy at 250-731-7623.

reporter@albernivalleynews.com

twitter.com/alberninews