Mike McDowall

Harbour Road hazard concerns McDowall

Harbour Road walkway isn't safe for pedestrians, says McDowall.

The lack of a pedestrian walkway makes Harbour Road an unsafe place for both tourists and residents, said Mike McDowall, summertime coordinator at the Maritime Discovery Centre.

“Quite often you’ll see large trucks going up and down here, probably 10 an hour,” he said. However there is no barrier to stop them from edging onto the walkway that exists there now, something that’s a safety hazard given the 5000-7000 tourists that come through there most summers, he said.

“You can almost see a semi-walkway… there’s a painted line [between the walkway and road] but safety wise painted lines don’t do much,” McDowall said. “If they had something like [a curb] it could prevent a car coming over or something, though ideally I think you’d still like a higher [barrier,] like a highway median … between large industrial traffic and people that walk there.”

The issue is complicated by the co-ownership of the road. It’s shared by the city, the port authority, Western Forest Products and Catalyst Paper.

According to David McCormick, Director of Public Relations and Business Development at the port authority, “the port is certainly aware of the safety concerns that do exist with the heavy use of Harbour Road by industrial traffic. The port does work with the other partners to ensure that the road is used safely by everybody, whether it’s industrial traffic, residential or community citizen vehicles or pedestrians.”

To that effect, the port authority has collaborated with the city to have temporary signage installed that restricts parking along Harbour Road, especially for vehicles that have boat trailers.

However, Coun. Jack McLeman admitted that there currently aren’t any plans to make that stretch of Harbour Road any safer.

He does want to see if it’s possible to add signs that would direct pedestrians from where the new steps down to the beach were installed along Harbour Road near the old Esso property to the Maritime Museum along the Harbour Quay Marina.

“What we’re going to have to do is figure out what’s possible and bring it up at the next budget,” McLeman said.

According to Scott Kenny, Director of Parks and Recreation and Heritage, the fence around the Esso property can’t yet be removed. McLeman would like to see pylons put up along the walkway.

McDowall appreciates the attempts made thus far but wants the partners to work together to figure out a better solution in time for next summer.

“There’s a big push for opening up the waterfront, especially from city council… and a safer walkway [would make it] more of a natural attraction. Now, it’s just not the safest it could be.”

reporter@albernivalleynews.com

Twitter.com/AlberniNews

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Missing Port Alberni man found deceased

47-year-old had been missing since late June: RCMP

Longtime volunteer retires from Port Alberni’s Abbeyfield House

Doreen Bissette honoured for two decades of volunteerism

Savard prevails with best gross score at Alberni Golf Club

Men’s club prepares for ‘waltz’ on July 12

EDITORIAL: We need to check our ‘plate hate’

Suspicious border activity can be reported

Feds announce $8.3M to deal with ‘ghost’ fishing gear in B.C. waters

Ghost gear accounts for up to 70 per cent of all macro-plastics in the ocean by weight

B.C. identifies 20 new COVID-19 cases, travellers specified in count

Pandemic total 3,028 cases, 51 people from outside Canada

Campaign aims to raise $50K for young family of deceased Vancouver Island skydiver

James Smith, 34, died July 5 following incident in Nanoose Bay

Survey, hotline launched amid probe into racist blood-alcohol guessing game at B.C. hospital

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has been appointed to lead an investigation by Health Minister Adrian Dix

Canadian policing organization calls for decriminalization of simple illicit drug possession

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police want policing focus of opioid crisis to be replaced with a health one

B.C. ports part of data integration project to protect marine ecosystems

The $1.2 M federally funded program will draw crucial baseline data from Canada’s three coastlines

Filing deadline in RCMP sexual-harassment class-action extended due to COVID-19

Plaintiffs now have until January 2021 to submit claims for up to $222,000

Jamie Bacon pleads guilty to charge in Surrey Six case

The plea brings an end to a complex legal case that has spanned more than a decade

Hefty undeclared driver charges piling up, ICBC warns customers

Average extra penalty $2,971 after an at-fault accident

RCMP disarm man experiencing mental health crisis

The male pulled a knife on officers and then held it to his own throat expressing a desire to die

Most Read