A hazardous materials incident at Alberni District Secondary School required the assistance of the Port Alberni fire department.
Fire personnel responded to the high school at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 24.
Upon arrival firemen found that a small amount of mercury had spilled in a second floor science lab.
“Some students were using an instrument when a small amount of mercury released from it,” , assistant fire chief Chris Jancowski said.
School staff quickly evacuated students from the room then sealed it off and ventilated it.
The rest of the school didn’t have to be evacuated, Jancowski said.
“We called a chemical specialist and gave the specifics of the incident and were assured that there should be no health issues with this,” he said.
A hazardous materials contractor is cleaning the area on Friday.