House fire ravages four buildings on Fourth Avenue

A home-made exhaust system for a generator used to power the off-grid home caused the July 27 fire.

A single family home on Forth Avenue was ravaged by a fire in the early morning of Monday

An early morning house fire on July 27 spread to four buildings before Port Alberni Fire Department crews could contain it, said fire Chief Tim Pley.

The blaze started when a home made exhaust pipe for the generator used to power the house lit the outside wall on fire, said Pley.

“The power had been disconnected to the building some time ago so the tenants had been using a generator to power the building and they’d build a home-made exhaust system for the generator sticking out through a wall,” said Pley.

“We believe that the heat from the exhaust pipe ignited the wall.”

The house’s two residents and one guest were not home at the time of the ignition, leading to the fire growing significantly before the fire department was called at 3:47 a.m.

“It started on the outside wall in the back and the fire spread to the front of the building and to the second story,” said Pley. “There was fire coming from the top front window as well.”

The fire spread to two outbuildings, the neighbouring garage and various flammable materials around the outbuildings.

“The fire damaged the house and two outbuildings and it also damaged a garage on a neighbouring property,” said Pley.

Three trucks and 14 firefighters were called to the fire that took half-an-hour to contain. Crews stayed on scene until almost 8 a.m. to ensure that the blaze was fully out.

According to Pley, residents shouldn’t be using generators to power their homes in that way.

“It’s more common than we’d like to see and here’s several things that can go wrong,” he said, carbon monoxide poisoning being the other deadly risk.

“You can poison yourself with carbon monoxide,” said Pley. “This resident had tried to resolve that by building an exhaust system sticking out of the house. So you have fire risk, you have carbon monoxide risk.”

There’s also a risk for BC Hydro workers.

“Another risk was that he was backfeeding into BC Hydro’s grid,” said Pley. “BC Hydro had disconnected the wires but those wires were now live from the house side so instead of power coming from the grid to the house, power was going from the house potentially to the grid and that puts BC Hydro workers at risk when you do that.

reporter@albernivalleynews.com

twitter.com/alberninews

Just Posted

Illegal cannabis club in Port Alberni ticketed again

RCMP seize cannabis, issue fine for second time in five months

Motorists attempted CPR on victim in fatal Highway 4 crash west of Whiskey Creek

Witnesses say three vehicles involved in collision; man in 70s confirmed dead

Chef returns to North Island College to inspire young cooks

Tina Tang shares her culinary journey since graduating

Real-life tsunami threat in Port Alberni prompts evacuation updates

UBC study says some people didn’t recognize the emergency signal

BCHL: Bulldogs announce the departure of head coach Matt Hughes

Hughes led the Alberni Valley Bulldogs for two seasons

Port Alberni Fire Department engages Indigenous youth in fire awareness

Workshop took place as part of Gathering Our Voices event in Port Alberni

‘Families torn apart:’ Truck driver in fatal Broncos crash gets 8-year sentence

Judge Inez Cardinal told court in Melfort, Sask., that Sidhu’s remorse and guilty plea were mitigating factors

Boy who went missing from park remains largest probe in Victoria police history

The four-year old Victoria boy went missing without a trace on March 24, 1991

WestJet sticking with Boeing 737 Max once planes certified to fly

WestJet had expected to add two more of the planes this year to increase its fleet to 13

B.C. driver caught going 207 km/h on motorcycle along Okanagan Highway

A motorcyclist was caught by Kelowna RCMP going 207 km/h on Highway 97C

Protective human chain forms around B.C. mosque for Friday prayer

Vancouver Islanders stand arm-in-arm to show support in aftermath of New Zealand shootings

Motorcyclist dies after three-vehicle crash on old Island Highway

Accident happened at 12:15 p.m. Friday near Country Club Centre in Nanaimo

B.C. fire department offers tips to keep your home safe during wildfire season

With wildfire season getting closer, the Penticton Fire Dept. offer tips to keep your home safe

Fierce house cat spotted as ‘aggressor’ in face off with coyote in B.C. backyard

North Vancouver resident Norm Lee captures orange cat versus coyote in backyard showdown

Most Read