Port Alberni fire crews responded to a kitchen fire at the corner of Second Avenue and Bruce Street shortly before 7 p.m. tonight (July 26).
According to fire information officer Randy Thoen, no one was injured during the blaze.
“It started on the stovetop and the residents evacuated the property when they couldn’t manage the fire,” said Thoen, adding that at this point nothing else has been determined regarding the cause of the fire.
“It appears that there is some smoke damage,” he said. All four residents were able to evacuate the duplex safely and were checked over and cleared by paramedics. A guinea pig was carried out by the residents as they evacuated.