Motorhome catches fire in Port Alberni mobile home park

Space heater left inside thought to be cause of fire

Smoke from a motorhome that caught fire next to Jaylee Mobile Home Park could be seen for kilometres around Port Alberni on Friday afternoon (Dec. 13).

No one was hurt in the blaze, which started with a space heater inside the motorhome, Cherry Creek Volunteer Fire Dept. Chief Lucas Banton said.

Neighbour Lynn Arsenault said she heard a big bang from her mobile home across the street. “I looked out my front window and saw the flames and thought, ‘oh my God,’” she said. “The flames were 20 feet high.

“My neighbour helped move my car; it was right beside (the motorhome).”

The owner, who declined to give his name, stood with a couple of neighbours watching the firefighters put out the last of the flames. His hair was singed from trying to extinguish the fire himself.

The owner had been getting into his car to go out when he saw flames coming from the nearby motorhome. “I ran around to get the hose,” he told Banton.

“They tried to knock it down themselves,” Banton said. The owner called 911 for help.

There were some small bottles of propane in the motorhome that were exploding, but not a big propane tank. “These particular (motorhomes) are dangerous because it’s quite toxic,” Banton said as he ensured people stayed back from the smoke and steam. “They go off quickly. There’s refrigerant and other things harmful for health.

“They are notorious for catching other things on fire.”

When Cherry Creek VFD personnel arrived they quickly doused vehicles and two structures close to the fire before attacking the fire itself, Banton explained.

“The first thing we do is drop water on all the other exposures, then hit the fire.”



susie.quinn@albernivalleynews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

Just Posted

No more ferries will sail from Departure Bay, Mill Bay, Brentwood Bay during COVID-19 pandemic

B.C. Ferries announces major changes to sailing schedules for 60 days starting Saturday, April 4

Alberni stores lend a hand to Girl Guides by selling cookies

Local store owners come forward to sell cookies when in-person sales halted over COVID-19

City of Port Alberni answers questions about COVID-19

Radio show will feature Mayor Sharie Minions and Dr. Paul Hasselback

Deadline passes for ‘unattractive’ Port Alberni building

Squash and Billiards Club on Third Avenue has been under construction for several years

VIDEO: ‘Used gloves and masks go in the garbage,’ says irked B.C. mayor

Health officials have said single-use gloves won’t do much to curb the spread of COVID-19

An ongoing updated list of Alberni Valley events affected by COVID-19

Has your event been cancelled or postponed? Check here

Sex workers face new risks during COVID-19 pandemic

‘Desperation has kicked in’ for vulnerable, undocumented workers unable to access help

Unclear if Cowichan couple refusing to self-isolate will face penalty

No fines or charges have been laid to date, including Cowichan couple who won’t self isolate

COVID-19: Postponed surgeries will be done, B.C. health minister says

Contract with private surgical clinic to help clear backlog

Black Press Media ad sparks discussion about value of community newspapers

White Rock resident hopes front-page note shines light on revenue loss during COVID-19 crisis

Nanaimo man arrested after allegedly setting house fire

Firefighters arrived to find mobile home ablaze on Barnes Road in Cedar on Thursday

Don’t stop going to the doctor, just do it virtually: B.C. association

Doctors encourage patients to access telephone, online visits

Businesses advised to prepare for federal, B.C. COVID-19 assistance

Canada Revenue Agency portal expected to open next week

Most Read