Ambulance and fire crews responded to a report of a man suffering an injury while milking a snake at a residence on St. George Crescent on Wednesday, Dec. 6. (KARL YU/News Bulletin)

Nanaimo man bitten while milking snake, taken to hospital

Fire and B.C. Ambulance crews respond to incident on St. George Crescent on Wednesday

First responders were on scene at a Nanaimo apartment Wednesday afternoon after a man was bitten while milking a snake.

The incident occured about 3:45 p.m. in the 1000 block of St. George Cres.

According to Martin Drakeley, Nanaimo Fire Rescue assistant fire chief, the man was draining venom from the snake.

“The individual was milking a snake at the time and apparently, [it] bit his finger, or somehow the snake injected venom into his finger,” said Drakely. “He was feeling off, obviously, a little woozy and B.C. Ambulance transported him to [Nanaimo Regional General Hospital].”

It is not known if it was a snake bite or the fang scratching the skin, but there was a puncture and venom was injected, Drakeley said.

The status of the victim is not known, nor what type of snake it was.



reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

#MeToo at work: How reporting sexual harassment works – and how it doesn’t

British Columbians have four options to report harassment or assault, but none of them are easy

San Group wants to expand forest holdings in Alberni Valley

Mill owners announce new shifts, commitment to keeping logs, jobs on Island

Alberni Salvation Army’s kettle campaign in dire need of volunteers

Campaign is only at 30 percent of its total in major fundraiser

BCHL: Grizzlies claw back to beat Bulldogs

Alberni Valley Bulldogs lose despite an early lead

#MeToo at work: B.C. women share horrifyingly common sexual assaults

It happens to more people than you might think and impacts women inside and outside of the workplace

VIDEO: Average Canadian food bill to rise by $348 in 2018

Atlantic Canada and B.C. will see the most increases for consumers

AHUS patient Shantee Anaquod is home for Christmas

Less than a month after receiving first dose of $750K drug, 23 year old healthy enough to go home

Firefighter dies, thousands more take on California blaze

This is second death linked to the Thomas fire, northwest of Los Angeles

Moose calves rescued in northern B.C. are ‘golden nuggets:’ researcher

Calves discovered near Prince George in late May. Mother had been killed by a car

Missing Alberta man could be headed to Victoria

Police in Alberta say Vernon “Allan” Pickard has not been heard from since late November

Cineplex charges extra at some Star Wars screenings

Fans are getting a surprise twist at the box office with extra $1 charges for assigned seating

Toddler sent to hospital following dog bite at Vancouver Island daycare

Malamute/husky cross involved in incident at 1200-block of Burnside Rd. West

Provincial Contractor of the Year awards handed out across B.C.

Deputy Minister’s 2017 awards recognize excellence in transportation and infrastructure

Myers high on Canada

AT RANDOM: Mike Myers says it right, eh

Most Read