No flood money for Alberni yet

Nearly a year later there is still no word about Alberni's $2.3 million application for flood alleviation on lower Third Avenue.

Money the City of Port Alberni applied for to alleviate flooding on lower Fourth Avenue is bogged down in red tape amid a flood of applications.

The city applied for $2.3 million from the federal-provincial Flood Protection Fund in January of this year but no decision has been made regarding the application yet.

“The last time I called they said that they are still considering all of the projects yet,” city engineer Guy Cicon said.

Work was originally envisioned being done in the summers of 2011 and 2012.

The money is to be used to improve the water bearing capacity of the existing channel along the lower reaches of Dry Creek, Cicon said.

“Basically we want it to pass the flood water and prevent flooding along lower Third and Fourth avenues where there is a mix of commercial, residential and industrial,” Cicon said.

reporter@albernivalleynews.com

Just Posted

Port Alberni pickleball winners announced

Men and women competed in annual Nick Hoekstra tourney

Brothers win Mac Five Challenge at Alberni Golf Course

Congratulations to the Savard Brothers, Mike and Andre, on their spectacular win

Interactive art exhibit in Port Alberni challenges stigma

‘Stigmatized’ presented by the Port Alberni Community Action Team

ARTS AROUND: Learn felting techniques at the Rollin Art Centre in Port Alberni

Saltspring Island artist Laurie Steffler will present two felting workshops

BCHL: Bulldogs new coach Joe Martin looking for hard skill, winning attitude

Alberni Valley team heads into new era with new owners, coaches, expectations

UPDATE: Wildfire east of Port Alberni under control

Crews continue to mop up 3.1-hectare fire

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria cases in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Liberals block hearings into scathing ethics report on SNC-Lavalin affair

Dion concluded in his report last week that Trudeau broke the Conflict of Interest Act

Retired Richmond fisherman wins record-breaking $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

‘Unsubstantiated’ bomb threat against CP Rail in Revelstoke

On Aug. 18, a bomb threat was made against CP Rail in Revelstoke

Victoria father charged with double murder of his daughters takes the stand

Andrew Berry pleaded not guilty to the December 2017 deaths

Most Read