Third CT scan investigation in Comox

VICTORIA - The B.C. government is investigating its third incident of problems with diagnostic medical imaging, this time at a hospital in Comox.

VICTORIA – The B.C. government is investigating its third incident of problems with diagnostic medical imaging

VICTORIA – The B.C. government is investigating its third incident of problems with diagnostic medical imaging, this time at a hospital in Comox.

An unnamed radiologist at St. Joseph’s General Hospital has had his privileges to read CT scans suspended after “significant errors” were discovered, the health ministry announced Monday. The diagnostic scans are used to detect cancer and heart conditions.

The Comox doctor has had credentials to read CT scans for 30 years. He has surrendered his hospital privileges at St. Joseph’s while the investigation is conducted.

The College of Physicians and Surgeons previously suspended radiologists working in Powell River and Abbotsford after similar deficiencies in reading and interpreting scans were discovered.

The deficiencies at Comox were identified in mid-January, but the situation wasn’t reported to the Vancouver Island Health Authority until Friday.

Health Minister Colin Hansen said the Comox case has been added to an investigation being conducted by Dr. Doug Cochrane, chair of the B.C. Patient Safety and Quality Council. Cochrane has been assigned to determine within the next month if all radiologists working in B.C. are properly trained to interpret diagnostic scans.

The Abbotsford case involved about 170 scans in August and September of 2010, performed by a vacation relief radiologist. Patients were to receive notice in registered letters from the Fraser Health Authority.

The Powell River radiologist worked there from April to October 2010, and was not qualified to read CT scans. A total of 900 scans examined by that doctor were reviewed by qualified specialists, and 130 were found to require further checks with patients.

The Powell River radiologist also handled ultrasound scans of 2,300 pregnant women.

Hansen apologized to patients who may not have received proper service from the hospitals, and expressed confidence that Cochrane’s review would provide the answers the health ministry needs.

Just Posted

Baby, it’s nasty outside: wind and rain will continue across Vancouver Island

Police warn drivers and pedestrians to use precaution during expected rain and winds

Donation helps North Island College trades students

NIC receives $38,000 equipment donation from Seymour Pacific Developments Ltd

See the Heart of Winter at Port Alberni gallery

Group exhibit runs at DRAW Gallery until February

Future of McLean Mill in question after log pond incident

$200,000 allocated to dam repairs, water quality testing at national historic site

Enjoy a night of laughter at the Capitol Theatre

Outsiders Comedy Night is a fundraiser for STAGES Youth Theatre

UPDATE: B.C. businesses evacuated due to emailed bomb threat, also received in U.S.

Penticton and Comox Valley businesses evacuated Thursday morning

VIDEO: Kitten rescued from under school bus in Duncan

School staff have affectionately called kitten “Axle”

$12K awarded to atheist family who oppose Christmas, Hanukkah in B.C. classroom

Gary Mangel,May Yasue said holidays, Remembrance Day and Valentine’s Day not appropriate in preschool

Coach accused of sexual assault says apology letter was misinterpreted

Dave Brubaker has pleaded not guilty to one count of sexual assault and one count of invitation to sexual touching

Give the gift of nature this holiday season

Please don’t be mad, but I bought you a moose

Aboriginal poet faces backlash for calling out NHL-themed totem poles

Rebecca Thomas says she received backlash for asking a drugstore chain to remove NHL merchandise

No plans yet for free WiFi on BC Transit buses

BC Transit says they are monitoring the roll-out of free WiFi on Translink vehicles

Some Kotex tampons recalled in Canada and U.S.

In some cases, tampon users sought medical attention “to remove tampon pieces left in the body.”

Sex-assault squad investigated eight incidents at Toronto all-boys’ school

The interim president of a Roman Catholic all-boys school rocked by student-on-student abuse allegations said the football program was cancelled for next year.

Most Read