UPDATE: TransLink to ‘pause’ Morgan Freeman PSAs after sexual harassment allegations

TransLink says that Seth Rogen could be in the running to replace Freeman

TransLink is pulling its planned SkyTrain and bus announcements by Morgan Freeman after multiple women told CNN that the actor had sexually harassed them.

In a statement Thursday morning, the company said they were pausing the ads after the stories broke Thursday morning.

Speaking after a TransLink board meeting, spokesperson Jill Drews said that the company was taking the allegations seriously.

“We’ve decided to put a pause on airing these ads with Mr. Freeman’s voice for now,” said Drews.

“It’s VISA’s ad campaign so ultimately his participation will be a question for them to answer.”

Eight women told CNN that they were victims of harassment and inappropriate behaviour by Freeman on set, during the promotion of his movies and at his production company Revelations Entertainment. Eight other people corroborated the accounts.

The planned announcements by Freeman were part of TransLink’s campaign to promote its Tap and Pay system which allows anyone transit users to tap and pay with their credit card, not just their Compass Card.

Drews emphasized that the announcements were ads that VISA had bought from TransLink, and not an initiative from TransLink itself.

In a statement, VISA said it will be suspended Freeman’s role in it’s marketing campaign.

“We are aware of the allegations that have been made against Mr. Freeman. At this point, Visa will be suspending our marketing in which the actor is featured.”

As to whether or not Seth Rogen, who offered to replace Freeman once the the allegations against the 80-year-old actor surfaced, could potentially voice the ads, Drews said that nothing had been planned yet.

“We are all for fun things on the system and we will see where that goes,” said Drews.


@katslepian

katya.slepian@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Cheetham Team comes in second at Alberni Valley bonspiel

The annual mixed bonspiel drew 37 teams from across the Island and Lower Mainland

Seedy Saturday draws many green thumbs in Port Alberni

Char’s Landing was the place to be last Saturday

Port Alberni’s Star Trek fan association donates legacy funds

Alberni Deep Space Port is dissolving its charitable status

New form of martial arts pops up in Port Alberni

Darran Chaisson and DoJin Won hosting classes at Dragon Martial Arts Taekwondo

VIDEO: Port Alberni welcomes Gathering Our Voices delegates

Tseshaht and Hupacasath First Nations welcomed guests during opening ceremonies

Canucks hang on for 7-4 win over Senators

Horvat nets 2 for Vancouver

European, Canadian regulators to do own review of Boeing jet

Air Canada plans to remove the Boeing 737 Max from its schedule at least through July 1

Prime minister defends Liberal budget measures as sales effort gets underway

Conservatives under Andrew Scheer say it’s a spree funded by borrowing against the future

Mayor meets with B.C. health minister on homeless taxi transfers

Two homeless people were discharged from Surrey Memorial and sent to a Chilliwack shelter

B.C. lottery winner being sued by co-workers

They claim he owes them $200,000 each, in a lawsuit filed in B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver

Teacher reprimanded for conduct towards special needs student

Alan Stephen Berry told vice principal he did not have time to use positive strategies

‘Full worm super moon’ to illuminate B.C. skies on first day of spring

Spring has sprung, a moon named in honour of thawing soil marks final super moon until 2020

Having phone within sight while driving does not violate law: B.C. judge

The mere presence of a cell phone within sight of a driver is not enough for a conviction, judge says

Most Read