UPDATE: Electrical failure probable cause of derelict Arrowview Hotel fire

The cause of the derelict Arrowview Hotel fire "appears to be an electrical failure," Port Alberni fire Chief said.

An electrical failure appears to be the cause of the fire that started in the former Arrowview Hotel on the night of Thursday, April 2, according to Port Alberni fire Chief Tim Pley.

(To see the News’ initial story, which includes the history of the derelict building, click here.)

The call came into the Port Alberni Fire Department at 8:40 p.m. According to Pley, “the fire response consisted of a full contingent from PAFD, one engine from Sproat Lake Fire Department and two engines from Beaver Creek Fire Department.”

The Sproat Lake and Beaver Creek fire departments responded through their mutual aid agreement with the city’s department.

(story continues below)

“Upon arrival, fire crews found visible fire in the interior of the building with smoke issuing from the soffits and eaves,” Pley said.” The fire was managed with master stream lines from the exterior and then hand-lines interior.”

Crews searched the entire building to ensure that there were no victims inside at the time of the blaze.

Pley said that “the property was occupied by a caretaker who was away at the time of the fire.”

The PAFD has secured the structure and returned custody to the owner.

reporter@albernivalleynews.com

twitter.com/alberninews