Westporte residents pan development

Close to 100 people came out to a public meeting about the fate of 8.1 hectares in Westporte on Nov. 18—and many were not pleased.

Close to 100 Port Alberni residents gather at Echo Centre to tell the city about their concerns for possible development around Westporte.

Close to 100 people came out to a public meeting about the fate of 8.1 hectares in Westporte on Nov. 18—and many were not pleased.

“The City of Port Alberni is considering the possibility of issuing a call for proposal,” city planner Scott Smith told the crowd.

Currently, just east of Westporte are 68-acres of city owned green space—currently earmarked as future development in the official community plan.

The city is proposing that the western 8.1 hectares (approximately 20 acres) be developed.

To assuage concerns about a possible Rainbow Gardens expansion into the current 0.6 ha Westporte park elsewhere in the neighbourhood, any developer would be required to develop 0.8 ha of the proposed area into an active park.

The top 8.5 ha (21 acres) of the 68-acre plot would remain as natural park area, while the remaining southeast portion would be untouched.

Mayor Mike Ruttan told the crowd that gathered at Echo Centre on Nov. 18 that seniors’ housing was still a priority for the city, despite their dissatisfaction with Rainbow Gardens’ previous proposal.

“Council wasn’t completely satisfied with what we’d been presented,” said Ruttan.

“But that doesn’t alter the increasing need to deal with housing for seniors.”

He cited the city’s concerns over the more than 175 seniors living at home who need other care and seniors inappropriately housed at the hospital.

“Island Health is projecting a 96 per cent increase in the 75 and older population by 2034—that’s not that far in the distance.”

But while Westporte residents said they understood the need for seniors’ housing, the weren’t pleased with the way the city was going about it.

“You’ve totally dismissed the idea that moving the park elsewhere would endanger our children,” one Westporte resident told Ruttan.

“Do you want to be the council that pulled down this great forest?” another resident asked to applause from the audience.

Drainage was also a concern, with residents in the area telling the city that “groundwater is a serious problem in the winter.”

“I don’t see how it would be possible for the city to redo all of the drainage system in the area,” said a resident.

Smith assured residents that any development of the 8.1 ha would require a storm water management plan and “cannot increase past pre-development levels.”

Questions were also asked of why a seniors’ facility couldn’t go anywhere in South Port, where empty land is available, or at the former high school site on Burde Street.

“There’s tons of land available to be developed in South Port… I really don’t get why we’re going out into the middle of the bush?”

This is the second time this year that the city has grappled publicly with what the right course of action should be for Westporte.

In December, Rainbow Gardens proposed an expansion of their seniors’ facility into the neighbouring Westporte Park.

Their proposal would have required the city to sell the park to Rainbow Gardens.

The sale was panned by Westporte residents, who took issue with almost everything to do with the sale—the mere $163,000 Rainbow Gardens would pay, the safety of a proposed replacement park to the northeast of the current one, and the fact that many of the residents moved to the neighbourhood specifically for the existing park.

This time however, Rainbow Gardens board member Daniel Watts said that despite a community notice sent out to Westporte residents by the City of Port Alberni mentioning a “possible sale of park space to Rainbow Gardens,” no new proposals had been sent forth from the seniors facility.

Coun. Sharie Minions, who sits of the city’s Rainbow Gardens committee, confirmed that Rainbow Gardens was only informed of the public meeting approximately a week ahead of time.

Didn’t make it to the meeting but want your opinion heard? Visit http://www.portalberni.ca/public-surveys and fill out the city’s survey.

reporter@albernivalleynews.com

twitter.com/AlberniNews

Just Posted

Baby, it’s nasty outside: wind and rain will continue across Vancouver Island

Police warn drivers and pedestrians to use precaution during expected rain and winds

Donation helps North Island College trades students

NIC receives $38,000 equipment donation from Seymour Pacific Developments Ltd

See the Heart of Winter at Port Alberni gallery

Group exhibit runs at DRAW Gallery until February

Future of McLean Mill in question after log pond incident

$200,000 allocated to dam repairs, water quality testing at national historic site

Enjoy a night of laughter at the Capitol Theatre

Outsiders Comedy Night is a fundraiser for STAGES Youth Theatre

UPDATE: B.C. businesses evacuated due to emailed bomb threat, also received in U.S.

Penticton and Comox Valley businesses evacuated Thursday morning

VIDEO: Kitten rescued from under school bus in Duncan

School staff have affectionately called kitten “Axle”

$12K awarded to atheist family who oppose Christmas, Hanukkah in B.C. classroom

Gary Mangel,May Yasue said holidays, Remembrance Day and Valentine’s Day not appropriate in preschool

Coach accused of sexual assault says apology letter was misinterpreted

Dave Brubaker has pleaded not guilty to one count of sexual assault and one count of invitation to sexual touching

Give the gift of nature this holiday season

Please don’t be mad, but I bought you a moose

Aboriginal poet faces backlash for calling out NHL-themed totem poles

Rebecca Thomas says she received backlash for asking a drugstore chain to remove NHL merchandise

No plans yet for free WiFi on BC Transit buses

BC Transit says they are monitoring the roll-out of free WiFi on Translink vehicles

Some Kotex tampons recalled in Canada and U.S.

In some cases, tampon users sought medical attention “to remove tampon pieces left in the body.”

Sex-assault squad investigated eight incidents at Toronto all-boys’ school

The interim president of a Roman Catholic all-boys school rocked by student-on-student abuse allegations said the football program was cancelled for next year.

Most Read