Holes

EDITORIAL: Road focus must change

The City of Port Alberni’s infrastructure — both above and below the ground — is degrading at twice the rate the city is paying to fix it.

The City of Port Alberni’s infrastructure—roads, sidewalks, water, sewer pipes and more—is degrading at twice the rate the city is paying to fix it. And that could spell trouble for taxpayers down the road.

The Town of Comox, northeast of Port Alberni, is a prime example of what can happen. Three years ago, Comox went public with its infrastructure deficit, which the Comox Valley Conservation Society (CVCS) estimates is 10 times what the town can afford to pay.

In 2012, Comox’s public works superintendent was quoted as saying Comox was facing costs of $160 million to upgrade its infrastructure—when the town’s entire budget for 2010 was only $16 million.

The CVCS noted that only 20 per cent of new development infrastructure costs was being paid for by developers, leaving 80 per cent for the community to pay for.

In May 2013, Comox raised residential taxes 2.7 per cent (about $43 in additional property taxes) but it was hardly enough to pay for all the fixes.

Port Alberni residents are already taxed to the max, so adding significantly to that pain is not the solution. Much was discussed during the recent municipal election about keeping taxes low but facing the reality that funding and service cuts would be the other side of the cause and effect balance.

It is time to take our infrastructure deficit seriously, and to do something about it before we end up like Comox—costs rising to the stratosphere with no correlating increase in the tax base.

— Alberni Valley News

Just Posted

Coldest Night of the Year event brings attention to plight of the homeless

Port Alberni teams prepare to walk one of three routes and raise funds too

Alberni Armada girls a surprise contender at Vancouver Island high school basketball championships

The Alberni Armada senior girls’ basketball team is going somewhere they never… Continue reading

Alberni Curling Club hosts 66th annual men’s bonspiel

Curlers will compete in four events Feb. 15–17

Arrowsmith Rotary seeking artist proposals for mural near Harbour Quay

Mural project will be based on the theme of reconciliation

Port Alberni couple wins $5 million jackpot

Harold and Madelaine Thomas plan to put money aside for children and grandchildren

VIDEO: Canada’s flag turns 54 today

The maple leaf design by George Stanley made its first appearance Feb. 15, 1965

Eight cases of measles confirmed in Vancouver outbreak

Coastal Health official say the cases stem from the French-language Ecole Jules Verne Secondary

Plecas won’t run in next election if B.C. legislature oversight reforms pass

B.C. Speaker and Abbotsford South MLA says he feels ‘great sympathy’ for Jody Wilson-Raybould

Workshop with ‘accent reduction’ training cancelled at UBC

The workshop was cancelled the same day as an email was sent out to international students

Former B.C. premier Gordon Campbell accused of sexual touching

Accuser went to police, interviewed by Britian’s Daily Telegraph

Man in Vancouver Island hotel shooting pleads guilty to second-degree murder

Brandon Tyler Woody, from Victoria, to be sentenced in late March in B.C. Supreme Court

Judge rules Abbotsford home must be sold after son tries to evict mom

Mom to get back down payment and initial expenses

Trump officially declares national emergency to build border wall

President plans to siphon billions from federal military construction and counterdrug efforts

Snow turns to slush, rain as it warms up across B.C.’s south coast

Some areas are already covered by more than half a metre of snow following three separate storms

Most Read