Lawyer Domenic Basile leaves old city hall after appearing in court on behalf of accused Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Roberto Osuna in Toronto on Monday, June 18, 2018. The 23-year-old pitcher was charged with one count of assault by Toronto police early last month. He was placed on administrative leave by Major League Baseball, in accordance with the league’s domestic violence policy. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Tijana Martin.

Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna suspended for 75 games

23-year-old pitcher faces assault charge

NEW YORK — Major League Baseball has suspended Toronto Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna through Aug. 4 for violating the league’s joint domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy.

MLB announced the suspension — which is retroactive to May 8 and will cover a total of 75 games — in a release on Friday. The league says Osuna has agreed not to appeal the suspension and he will participate in a confidential and comprehensive evaluation and treatment program supervised by the joint policy board of MLB and the players’ association.

The 23-year-old Osuna is facing an assault charge and had been on paid administrative leave by MLB since being arrested last month.

The Blue Jays said in a statement that they “support the decision by the Commissioner’s Office.”

Osuna appeared in 15 games (15 1/3 innings) for Toronto this season, allowing 16 hits, five runs and one walk while earning nine saves. He has not pitched since May 6, two days before he was put on administrative leave.

He is 8-13 with a 2.87 earned-run average and 104 saves over four seasons with the Blue Jays.

READ MORE: Robert Osuna not expected to appear in court

“I don’t have much of a reaction other than you take what MLB does and trust that and live with that and let it go through its course,” Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said before Friday night’s road game against the Los Angeles Angels. “We knew something was coming down. Actually, it took a while. Hopefully it all gets worked out on both sides and everyone gets the help they need and everything works out fine.”

Osuna’s lawyer, Domenic Basile, said in court in Toronto Monday that Osuna intends to plead not guilty to the assault charge. Osuna’s case is scheduled to return to court July 9.

Gibbons was asked if knowing the length of the penalty helps the team.

“I guess that helps,” Gibbons said. “We’ve kind of moved past that anyway and made do with what we’ve had.”

Osuna will lose about $2.54 million of his $5.3 million salary.

THE CANADIAN PRESS

Just Posted

John Horgan promises action after fatal mid-Island bus crash

Premier cites students, local Indigneous community as reason to repair the road

BCHL: Alberni Valley Bulldogs rally for the win with five goals in third period

Port Alberni team has won two games in a row at home

Forestry watchdog warned B.C. government about Bamfield Road in 2008

Ombudsman’s specific concerns re-surface in wake of fatal bus crash

Swedish visitors celebrate steam donkey at McLean Mill—without the steam

Volunteers celebrate 90th birthday of mill’s vintage steam donkey

Bus crash survivor petitions Justin Trudeau to fix road where classmates died

UVic student’s petition well over halfway to 5k signature goal

VIDEO: Trudeau asks Canada to look to current, not past, actions on race

Liberal leader says he never spoke about the racist photo because he was embarrassed

Horvat paces Canucks to 6-1 pre-season win over Oilers

Vancouver improves to 3-1 in NHL exhibition action

Legislature gifts, clothing, travel need better control, B.C. auditor says

Audit follows suspensions of managers by Speaker Darryl Plecas

‘Really disturbing:’ Trudeau’s racist photos worry B.C. First Nation chief

Wet’suwet’en Chief concerned the photos will sow fear in Indigenous communities

‘Unacceptable’: What politicians have to say about Trudeau in blackface

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi: ‘When I saw that picture last night, certainly it was a sucker-punch’

‘He’s trying to kill me’: Victoria police commandeer boats to reach screaming woman

No charges laid and civilians to be awarded honours after incident on Gorge Waterway

Island contestant competes on Great Canadian Baking Show

Andrea Nauta auditioned for the show before but was lucky second time around

VIDEO: B.C. man accused of assaulting sex worker loses temper in interrogation

Defence lawyer says statements made by accused Curtis Sagmoen should be deemed inadmissible

Teens charged in stabbing death of B.C. man in strip mall parking lot

Two youths, aged 15 and 16, charged in Aug. 16 killing of South Surrey’s Paul Prestbakmo

Most Read