Museum

An undated black and white print of a fish boat bringing in its catch. This is one photo in a series of negatives that were donated to the museum by Tom Buchanan. This photo is one of 24,000 contained in the Alberni Valley Museum’s digital archives, at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN07308 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: When the pilchards came to Port Alberni

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with the Alberni Valley Museum

An undated black and white print of a fish boat bringing in its catch. This is one photo in a series of negatives that were donated to the museum by Tom Buchanan. This photo is one of 24,000 contained in the Alberni Valley Museum’s digital archives, at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN07308 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
On Aug. 26, 1947, a fire sparked in the lumber piles between Alberni Pacific Division sawmill and Alberni Plywood (located where Canal Waterfront Park is now). What resulted was a huge fire on Assembly Wharf One, where several buildings were gutted and stacks of lumber were burned. This photo is one of 24,000 contained in the Alberni Valley Museum’s digital archives, at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN07386 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: 1947 fire destroys Port Alberni wharf

Take a peek into the Alberni Valley’s history with the Alberni Valley Museum

On Aug. 26, 1947, a fire sparked in the lumber piles between Alberni Pacific Division sawmill and Alberni Plywood (located where Canal Waterfront Park is now). What resulted was a huge fire on Assembly Wharf One, where several buildings were gutted and stacks of lumber were burned. This photo is one of 24,000 contained in the Alberni Valley Museum’s digital archives, at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN07386 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
Mrs. H.J. Butterfield on the boat, Maid of Ecoole, circa 1925. Ecoole, 37 km southwest of Port Alberni, is a former fishing settlement on the southeast side of Seddall Island near the head of Barkley Sound. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s online archives. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN07732 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: Ecoole in the Alberni Inlet has deep fishing history

Take a peek into the history of the Alberni Valley with the Alberni Valley Museum

  • Jan 3, 2021
Mrs. H.J. Butterfield on the boat, Maid of Ecoole, circa 1925. Ecoole, 37 km southwest of Port Alberni, is a former fishing settlement on the southeast side of Seddall Island near the head of Barkley Sound. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s online archives. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN07732 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
Two cooks stand at the ready in a camp kitchen at either Franklin Division or Great Central Lake, sometime between 1946-1956. Written on the back of the photograph is “Part of the kitchen, the head cook is in the foreground. It is always spotless.” This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s online archives, accessible by the public at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN07465 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: Logging camp cookhouses

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with the Alberni Valley Museum

Two cooks stand at the ready in a camp kitchen at either Franklin Division or Great Central Lake, sometime between 1946-1956. Written on the back of the photograph is “Part of the kitchen, the head cook is in the foreground. It is always spotless.” This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s online archives, accessible by the public at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN07465 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
Hilda and Mike Hanson of Port Alberni, their four children and an unnamed guest pose for a family Christmas photo circa 1960s. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s digital archives, at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN03253 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

A LOOK BACK: Christmas in the Alberni Valley

Take a peek into history with the Alberni Valley Museum

Hilda and Mike Hanson of Port Alberni, their four children and an unnamed guest pose for a family Christmas photo circa 1960s. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s digital archives, at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN03253 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
The Alberni Valley Museum has a few Christmas cards, all based on images or artefacts in the museum’s collection. (SUBMITTED PHOTO)

Christmas cards explore the history of the Alberni Valley

Alberni Valley Museum has put out seven Christmas cards over the years

  • Dec 25, 2020
The Alberni Valley Museum has a few Christmas cards, all based on images or artefacts in the museum’s collection. (SUBMITTED PHOTO)
I captured a photo of my mom, Judy Quinn, in the glass fronting a display of vintage typewriters and other writing implements, during the opening of Echoes in the Ice: Finding Franklin’s Ship in March 2019. I’m partial to vintage pieces that relate to my career, like typewriters and old cameras. (SUSIE QUINN/ Alberni Valley News)

QUINN’S QUIPS: The Alberni Valley Museum is full of cool artefacts; now you can own one

The museum and Alberni Valley Heritage Commission launch Adopt An Artefact program

I captured a photo of my mom, Judy Quinn, in the glass fronting a display of vintage typewriters and other writing implements, during the opening of Echoes in the Ice: Finding Franklin’s Ship in March 2019. I’m partial to vintage pieces that relate to my career, like typewriters and old cameras. (SUSIE QUINN/ Alberni Valley News)
Joe and Della Drinkwater pose for a formal portrait circa 1898. The Drinkwater name has been a noted one since the 1800s, and numerous landmarks and streets are named for different family members. Drinkwater Creek at the headwaters to Great Central Lake was named for Joe Drinkwater, who had a number of mining claims in the Drinkwater Valley. Joe named Della Falls—the highest waterfall in British Columbia—after his wife Della (née Fayette). The couple was married in December 1899. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s online archives, available for public viewing at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN01129 COURTESY AV MUSEUM)

A LOOK BACK: Joe Drinkwater carves a name for himself in the Alberni Valley

Take a peek at the history of the Alberni Valley with the AV Museum

Joe and Della Drinkwater pose for a formal portrait circa 1898. The Drinkwater name has been a noted one since the 1800s, and numerous landmarks and streets are named for different family members. Drinkwater Creek at the headwaters to Great Central Lake was named for Joe Drinkwater, who had a number of mining claims in the Drinkwater Valley. Joe named Della Falls—the highest waterfall in British Columbia—after his wife Della (née Fayette). The couple was married in December 1899. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s online archives, available for public viewing at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN01129 COURTESY AV MUSEUM)
The four-masted wooden schooner ‘William Taylor of New York’ with all its sails up, can be seen tied to the wharf at Alberni Pacific Lumber circa 1922. The wharf is loaded with lumber. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s online archives. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN06769 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

A LOOK BACK: Tall ships on the Port Alberni waterfront

Take a peek at Port Alberni’s history with the Alberni Valley Museum

The four-masted wooden schooner ‘William Taylor of New York’ with all its sails up, can be seen tied to the wharf at Alberni Pacific Lumber circa 1922. The wharf is loaded with lumber. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s online archives. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN06769 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
In 1938, it once rained so hard that two boys were able to paddle down River Road in their small boat. an automobile driving down the road beside the boys gives perspective of how much water from the rain-swollen Somass River had spilled onto the roadway. The photo is credited to Turner Bros. (PHOTO PN00288 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

A LOOK BACK: Flooding along the Somass River

Take a peek into Port Alberni’s history with the Alberni Valley Museum

In 1938, it once rained so hard that two boys were able to paddle down River Road in their small boat. an automobile driving down the road beside the boys gives perspective of how much water from the rain-swollen Somass River had spilled onto the roadway. The photo is credited to Turner Bros. (PHOTO PN00288 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
Kay Gordon ‘Soup’ Campbell, pictured in 2012, is being remembered for his love of his community. (ALBERNI VALLEY NEWS FILE PHOTO)

Soup Campbell leaves behind a legacy in Port Alberni

A small parade of vintage trucks and Model A Fords took to the streets on Sept. 5

Kay Gordon ‘Soup’ Campbell, pictured in 2012, is being remembered for his love of his community. (ALBERNI VALLEY NEWS FILE PHOTO)
Alberni Valley Museum employees Amy Vandal and Melissa Cross put together a piece of the new Chief Dan George exhibit at the museum. The exhibit opened on Saturday, Oct. 3 and runs until March 2021. (ELENA RARDON / ALBERNI VALLEY NEWS)
Alberni Valley Museum employees Amy Vandal and Melissa Cross put together a piece of the new Chief Dan George exhibit at the museum. The exhibit opened on Saturday, Oct. 3 and runs until March 2021. (ELENA RARDON / ALBERNI VALLEY NEWS)
The crew that built the first fish ladder at Stamp Falls, circa 1925: back row, from left are Jack Plaunt, Johnny Manuel, Ernie Gingello, Jack Gorman. Front row, from left, are Walker Greene, ‘Colonel’ Hunt (government engineer), Tom Maher, Jim Wilkinson and Joe Drinkwater (foreman). This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s online digital archives. There are several photos of the fish ladder crew in the archives. (PHOTO PN06001 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: The men who built the first Stamp Falls fish ladder

Delve into Alberni Valley history with the Alberni Valley Museum online

The crew that built the first fish ladder at Stamp Falls, circa 1925: back row, from left are Jack Plaunt, Johnny Manuel, Ernie Gingello, Jack Gorman. Front row, from left, are Walker Greene, ‘Colonel’ Hunt (government engineer), Tom Maher, Jim Wilkinson and Joe Drinkwater (foreman). This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s online digital archives. There are several photos of the fish ladder crew in the archives. (PHOTO PN06001 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
Port Alberni’s first clock tower was at the Dominion Government Building (post office) on Third Avenue at Angus Street. The clock tower was visible to anyone in the commercial area. Inside the post office was another unique clockpiece, made by the Pequegnat Clock Company after 1916. The Canadian Time Wall Clock was advertised as having an eight-day time movement and finished in golden or weathered oak. The price tag was $8.00. This clock is on display in the Household section of the Alberni Valley Museum. (COLLECTION1966.19.1 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: A journey of time in Port Alberni

Take a peek at Port Alberni’s history with the Alberni Valley Museum

Port Alberni’s first clock tower was at the Dominion Government Building (post office) on Third Avenue at Angus Street. The clock tower was visible to anyone in the commercial area. Inside the post office was another unique clockpiece, made by the Pequegnat Clock Company after 1916. The Canadian Time Wall Clock was advertised as having an eight-day time movement and finished in golden or weathered oak. The price tag was $8.00. This clock is on display in the Household section of the Alberni Valley Museum. (COLLECTION1966.19.1 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
The Dominion Government Building was located on the southwest corner of Third Avenue and Angus Street. This building was built in 1914 at a cost of $25,000 and housed the post office, telegraph, and Fisheries and Customs offices. The clock and bell tower were a useful thing for anyone who didn’t have a watch. The Post Office building was sold in 1961 and torn down in 1963. This photograph was taken not long after the building was built and is one of nearly 24,000 photographs in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. Find it online at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/. (PHOTO PN01138 COURTESY OF AV MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: Port Alberni’s first clocktower

Take a peek at Port Alberni’s history with the Alberni Valley Museum

The Dominion Government Building was located on the southwest corner of Third Avenue and Angus Street. This building was built in 1914 at a cost of $25,000 and housed the post office, telegraph, and Fisheries and Customs offices. The clock and bell tower were a useful thing for anyone who didn’t have a watch. The Post Office building was sold in 1961 and torn down in 1963. This photograph was taken not long after the building was built and is one of nearly 24,000 photographs in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. Find it online at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/. (PHOTO PN01138 COURTESY OF AV MUSEUM)
Fred Warren sits at a machine in Port Alberni’s first printing shop, front right, in 1914, while Williams Venebles stands at the press at the back of the room. The press room belonged to the Port Alberni News, which came into being in March 1912. As of Sept. 1, 2020, the Alberni Valley News will move into a new home at 4918 Napier Street, where Houle Printing operates a print shop in shared space. The building was once home to a different newspaper, the AV Times, and housed a large press at one time. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/. (PHOTO PN00238 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: Port Alberni’s first printing press

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with the Alberni Valley Museum

Fred Warren sits at a machine in Port Alberni’s first printing shop, front right, in 1914, while Williams Venebles stands at the press at the back of the room. The press room belonged to the Port Alberni News, which came into being in March 1912. As of Sept. 1, 2020, the Alberni Valley News will move into a new home at 4918 Napier Street, where Houle Printing operates a print shop in shared space. The building was once home to a different newspaper, the AV Times, and housed a large press at one time. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/. (PHOTO PN00238 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
The Beaufort Café, inside the Beaufort Hotel on Third Avenue in Port Alberni, was the place to be seen in 1944. Standing at the counter on this particular day are Mr. Hugh Lee, left, and his wife Phyllis, waitresses Mollie, Jacky Mulcaster, Cathy Peterson and Sylvia McMillan, and bookkeeper Birdie. Historian Glen Mofford was gifted with this photograph by Jacquelyn R. Zambon (née Mulcaster) in 2013. (PHOTO COURTESY GLEN MOFFORD)

LOOK BACK: The historic Beaufort Hotel in Port Alberni

Taking a peek at Alberni Valley history with historian Glen Mofford

The Beaufort Café, inside the Beaufort Hotel on Third Avenue in Port Alberni, was the place to be seen in 1944. Standing at the counter on this particular day are Mr. Hugh Lee, left, and his wife Phyllis, waitresses Mollie, Jacky Mulcaster, Cathy Peterson and Sylvia McMillan, and bookkeeper Birdie. Historian Glen Mofford was gifted with this photograph by Jacquelyn R. Zambon (née Mulcaster) in 2013. (PHOTO COURTESY GLEN MOFFORD)
In 1940, the west side of Third Avenue between Angus and Argyle Street boasts businesses like Lavers, Homewood’s, Dr. Hiltons and Dr. Martinzer, Isabelle’s Ladies Wear, Hub Confectionary (Anderson), Flanagan’s Meat Market, Overwaitea, Fawcett’s Shoes, George Harris Shoes and Stirzaker’s. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/. (PHOTO PN06717 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: Port Alberni’s Third Avenue circa 1940

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with the Alberni Valley Museum

In 1940, the west side of Third Avenue between Angus and Argyle Street boasts businesses like Lavers, Homewood’s, Dr. Hiltons and Dr. Martinzer, Isabelle’s Ladies Wear, Hub Confectionary (Anderson), Flanagan’s Meat Market, Overwaitea, Fawcett’s Shoes, George Harris Shoes and Stirzaker’s. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/. (PHOTO PN06717 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
Telephone operators Enid Garrard (Mrs. L.M. Rosenborough) and Minnie Mundy (Mrs. Colin Martin) (possibly this is Margaret Watson (Mrs. E. Kierstead) sit in front of a large panel of telephone circuits and ‘cables’ at the B.C. Telephone office on Fourth Avenue, sometime after 1912. Manual switchboards, or ‘cordboards’ were used for decades in the early 20th century. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/. (PHOTO PN04334 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: Telephone communications in Port Alberni

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with the Alberni Valley Museum

Telephone operators Enid Garrard (Mrs. L.M. Rosenborough) and Minnie Mundy (Mrs. Colin Martin) (possibly this is Margaret Watson (Mrs. E. Kierstead) sit in front of a large panel of telephone circuits and ‘cables’ at the B.C. Telephone office on Fourth Avenue, sometime after 1912. Manual switchboards, or ‘cordboards’ were used for decades in the early 20th century. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/. (PHOTO PN04334 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
The Port Alberni Train Station is located outside the entrance to Harbour Quay, on Harbour Road in Port Alberni. (AV NEWS FILE PHOTO)

QUINN’S QUIPS: What makes a building historically significant?

There’s a difference between heritage designation and a heritage register

The Port Alberni Train Station is located outside the entrance to Harbour Quay, on Harbour Road in Port Alberni. (AV NEWS FILE PHOTO)