Museum

Barber Curtis Lovett, centre, gives an unnamed customer a shave while Walter C. Hamly, right, observes at O.K. Barber Shop on the northeast corner of Argyle Street and First Avenue in 1912. Back then, the street was a wide dirt road with businesses lining both sides of the north end, giving way to residential streets in the south end. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/. (PHOTO PN05688 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: Shave and a haircut in 1912

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with the Alberni Valley Museum

Barber Curtis Lovett, centre, gives an unnamed customer a shave while Walter C. Hamly, right, observes at O.K. Barber Shop on the northeast corner of Argyle Street and First Avenue in 1912. Back then, the street was a wide dirt road with businesses lining both sides of the north end, giving way to residential streets in the south end. This photo is one of 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/. (PHOTO PN05688 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
The Canadian Pacific Railway Wharf provided shipping in the Alberni Inlet from the end of Argyle Street. The wharf in 1935 sat between the Brackman Ker Milling Co. Ltd. and Stone Bros. (small white building). This is now where Harbour Quay is located. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ (PHOTO PN00483 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: Canadian Pacific Railway’s wharf in Port Alberni

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with the Alberni Valley Museum

The Canadian Pacific Railway Wharf provided shipping in the Alberni Inlet from the end of Argyle Street. The wharf in 1935 sat between the Brackman Ker Milling Co. Ltd. and Stone Bros. (small white building). This is now where Harbour Quay is located. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ (PHOTO PN00483 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
Katherine Ford, right, and her brother Armour are photographed as children in this uncredited photo, circa 1905. Armour Ford practiced law in Port Alberni until his retirement. He married Helen Manning in 1953. Ford’s name lives on with Port Alberni’s Navy League Cadets Corp, named NLCC Armour Ford. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ Many of the history books cited in the Look Back series are available for purchase at the AV Museum. Call 250-720-2863 for more information. (PHOTO PN03921 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: The legacy of Armour and Helen Ford

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with the Alberni Valley Museum

Katherine Ford, right, and her brother Armour are photographed as children in this uncredited photo, circa 1905. Armour Ford practiced law in Port Alberni until his retirement. He married Helen Manning in 1953. Ford’s name lives on with Port Alberni’s Navy League Cadets Corp, named NLCC Armour Ford. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ Many of the history books cited in the Look Back series are available for purchase at the AV Museum. Call 250-720-2863 for more information. (PHOTO PN03921 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
Portal Players Dramatic Society was supposed to be hosting Mainstage 2020 for the second year in a row in July 2020, however, COVID-19 health restrictions forced the provincial festival’s cancellation. We thought it was fitting to share an image from the first play in New Alberni: Babes in the Woods. Circa 1903. People in the picture are identified as: front row left to right: A. Barfoot, L. Withers, S. White, Mis Ann Wood (teacher), H. Porritt, Dr. C.T. Hilton, R. Blandy, A. Carmichael, C. A. Moorhead. Back row left to right: Marion Watson, Clara Grandy, Miss Liza Scott (teacher), Vesta McIntyre, Margaret Grandy. (WRIGHT PORRITT, PHOTOGRAPHER/ PN02976 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: The first play produced in ‘New Alberni’

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with the Alberni Valley Museum

Portal Players Dramatic Society was supposed to be hosting Mainstage 2020 for the second year in a row in July 2020, however, COVID-19 health restrictions forced the provincial festival’s cancellation. We thought it was fitting to share an image from the first play in New Alberni: Babes in the Woods. Circa 1903. People in the picture are identified as: front row left to right: A. Barfoot, L. Withers, S. White, Mis Ann Wood (teacher), H. Porritt, Dr. C.T. Hilton, R. Blandy, A. Carmichael, C. A. Moorhead. Back row left to right: Marion Watson, Clara Grandy, Miss Liza Scott (teacher), Vesta McIntyre, Margaret Grandy. (WRIGHT PORRITT, PHOTOGRAPHER/ PN02976 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
The Norgang brothers (left), Fred Brand, Bill Brand and an unidentified boy pose in front of the boiler at Brand’s Sawmill in Cherry Creek in 1910. The mill, which was built on Fred Cowley’s property, was almost destroyed by fire in May 1917, but was restored and continued operation until 1930. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PN00127 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

LOOK BACK: Fred Brand, Brand’s Sawmill

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with the Alberni Valley Museum

The Norgang brothers (left), Fred Brand, Bill Brand and an unidentified boy pose in front of the boiler at Brand’s Sawmill in Cherry Creek in 1910. The mill, which was built on Fred Cowley’s property, was almost destroyed by fire in May 1917, but was restored and continued operation until 1930. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PN00127 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
Firefighters aboard the post-war fireboat Frank Harrison practice on the Somass River in 1955. There were two Port Alberni fireboats called Frank Harrison: the second was built in 1977 in North Vancouver by John Dunn Co. Ltd. and replaced by the Harbour Chieftain in 2010. This is one of nearly 24,000 photos in the Alberni Valley Museum’s digital collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. Many of the history books cited in the Look Back series are available at the museum. (PN02605 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

A LOOK BACK: Port Alberni’s fireboats

Delve into the city’s past with the Alberni Valley Museum’s online digital archives

Firefighters aboard the post-war fireboat Frank Harrison practice on the Somass River in 1955. There were two Port Alberni fireboats called Frank Harrison: the second was built in 1977 in North Vancouver by John Dunn Co. Ltd. and replaced by the Harbour Chieftain in 2010. This is one of nearly 24,000 photos in the Alberni Valley Museum’s digital collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. Many of the history books cited in the Look Back series are available at the museum. (PN02605 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
Nearly a dozen vintage trucks from the Western Vancouver Island Industrial Heritage Society paraded from the IHS centre on Ninth Avenue to Victoria Quay and then Smitty’s, where IHS members gathered for a Canada Day lunch. (SUSAN QUINN/ Alberni Valley News)

WATCH: Vintage trucks parade through Port Alberni

Industrial Heritage Society volunteers celebrate Canada Day with a quiet cruise through town

Nearly a dozen vintage trucks from the Western Vancouver Island Industrial Heritage Society paraded from the IHS centre on Ninth Avenue to Victoria Quay and then Smitty’s, where IHS members gathered for a Canada Day lunch. (SUSAN QUINN/ Alberni Valley News)
Anita Sutherland of McLean Mill hangs up one of the newly branded T-shirts available in the gift shop at the national historic site just outside Port Alberni. The site will open to the public on July 1, 2020. (SUSAN QUINN/ Alberni Valley News)

McLean Mill will open for summer season on July 1

Canada Day will feature light activities at Port Alberni’s national historic site

Anita Sutherland of McLean Mill hangs up one of the newly branded T-shirts available in the gift shop at the national historic site just outside Port Alberni. The site will open to the public on July 1, 2020. (SUSAN QUINN/ Alberni Valley News)
Four members of the Y.P. A. (Young People’s Association) are in costumes on a dressed stage at the Eagles Hall on First Avenue North in Port Alberni, in this photo dated 1931. The YPA put on various live performances including a memorable Variety Night concert in December 1934, just as the Albernis were heading out of the Depression and into prosperity once again. This is one of nearly 24,000 photos in the Alberni Valley Museum’s digital collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. Many of the history books cited in the Look Back series are available at the museum. (PN12995 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

A LOOK BACK: live on stage

Take a peek into Alberni Valley history with Alberni Valley Museum

Four members of the Y.P. A. (Young People’s Association) are in costumes on a dressed stage at the Eagles Hall on First Avenue North in Port Alberni, in this photo dated 1931. The YPA put on various live performances including a memorable Variety Night concert in December 1934, just as the Albernis were heading out of the Depression and into prosperity once again. This is one of nearly 24,000 photos in the Alberni Valley Museum’s digital collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. Many of the history books cited in the Look Back series are available at the museum. (PN12995 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
A LOOK BACK: Kitsuksis Creek in Port Alberni

A LOOK BACK: Kitsuksis Creek in Port Alberni

Take a peek into Alberni Valley history with Alberni Valley Museum

A LOOK BACK: Kitsuksis Creek in Port Alberni
Joshua and Weyla Roy display some of the many letters they have from serial killers like Robert Pickton and Dennis Rader, the BTK killer. (Shalu Mehta/News Staff)
Joshua and Weyla Roy display some of the many letters they have from serial killers like Robert Pickton and Dennis Rader, the BTK killer. (Shalu Mehta/News Staff)
Mary Chester sits on a log on a beach preparing grasses for making baskets. In this photo, one of a series in the Alberni Valley Museum’s digital archives, she is holding and turning a tool over a plate. The AV Museum has an extensive exhibit on Indigenous baskets and prominent Nuu-chah-nulth makers. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN03464 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

A LOOK BACK: The culture of Nuu-chah-nulth basket making

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with Alberni Valley Museum

Mary Chester sits on a log on a beach preparing grasses for making baskets. In this photo, one of a series in the Alberni Valley Museum’s digital archives, she is holding and turning a tool over a plate. The AV Museum has an extensive exhibit on Indigenous baskets and prominent Nuu-chah-nulth makers. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com. (PHOTO PN03464 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
A LOOK BACK: maritime history of Alberni Inlet

A LOOK BACK: maritime history of Alberni Inlet

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with Alberni Valley Museum

A LOOK BACK: maritime history of Alberni Inlet
A large group of children stand outside the Capitol Theatre in December 1936. Next to the Capitol is a community hall that was built in 1928-29, and after the Depression turned into a bowling alley. (JOSEPH CLEGG PHOTO/ AV MUSEUM COLLECTION PN09340)

A LOOK BACK: recreation in Port Alberni’s downtown

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with the Alberni Valley Museum

A large group of children stand outside the Capitol Theatre in December 1936. Next to the Capitol is a community hall that was built in 1928-29, and after the Depression turned into a bowling alley. (JOSEPH CLEGG PHOTO/ AV MUSEUM COLLECTION PN09340)
The maternity ward at West Coast General Hospital in Port Alberni was so full of babies on April 18, 1950, that they had them almost stacked two high! Thirteen babies in all are snuggled into a large bassinet. Some of the family names written on the back of the photo include Beauregard, Hamilton, Goldsack, Eadie, Williams, Carson, Crockford, Cruikshank, Grunlund, Shulte and Robinson. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ (PN00528 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

A LOOK BACK: Babies of the Alberni Valley

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with Alberni Valley Museum

The maternity ward at West Coast General Hospital in Port Alberni was so full of babies on April 18, 1950, that they had them almost stacked two high! Thirteen babies in all are snuggled into a large bassinet. Some of the family names written on the back of the photo include Beauregard, Hamilton, Goldsack, Eadie, Williams, Carson, Crockford, Cruikshank, Grunlund, Shulte and Robinson. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ (PN00528 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
A large group of demonstrators from the National Unemployed Workers Association of Port Alberni stands along the side of a dirt street during a ‘hunger parade’ on March 3, 1932. The crowd includes women and children, some with placards, as well as a man playing a drum. This Depression-era photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ (PN06592 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)

A LOOK BACK: Port Alberni hunger parade

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with Alberni Valley Museum

A large group of demonstrators from the National Unemployed Workers Association of Port Alberni stands along the side of a dirt street during a ‘hunger parade’ on March 3, 1932. The crowd includes women and children, some with placards, as well as a man playing a drum. This Depression-era photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ (PN06592 COURTESY ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM)
The Victory Joy Ride on Nov. 11, 1918 was the Albernis’ spontaneous response to the end of the First World War, and took place despite a ban on public gatherings because of the Spanish Flu epidemic. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. Many of them can be viewed online. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ (PN00017/ Alberni Valley Museum)

QUINN’S QUIPS: Another pandemic for the history books

Coronavirus is the third pandemic to hit the Alberni Valley in more than a century

The Victory Joy Ride on Nov. 11, 1918 was the Albernis’ spontaneous response to the end of the First World War, and took place despite a ban on public gatherings because of the Spanish Flu epidemic. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. Many of them can be viewed online. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ (PN00017/ Alberni Valley Museum)
A long double line of men walk down the middle of Johnston Road through the centre of Alberni in 1933. During the Depression, these men, who were described as from out of town, were demonstrating because they wanted jobs. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ (PHOTO BY JOSEPH CLEGG/ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM, PN01170)

A LOOK BACK: Port Alberni during the Depression

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with Alberni Valley Museum

A long double line of men walk down the middle of Johnston Road through the centre of Alberni in 1933. During the Depression, these men, who were described as from out of town, were demonstrating because they wanted jobs. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ (PHOTO BY JOSEPH CLEGG/ALBERNI VALLEY MUSEUM, PN01170)
The First West Coast General Hospital, photographed in 1932, shows a large wing added to the original two-storey building on Redford Street. The site was chosen in the early 1900s because it was partway between ‘Alberni’ and ‘Port Alberni’. Abbeyfield House and the Port Alberni RCMP detachment now sit on the site of the first hospital. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ (PN00109/ Alberni Valley Museum)

A LOOK BACK: Port Alberni’s hospital

Take a peek at Alberni Valley history with Alberni Valley Museum

  • May 2, 2020
The First West Coast General Hospital, photographed in 1932, shows a large wing added to the original two-storey building on Redford Street. The site was chosen in the early 1900s because it was partway between ‘Alberni’ and ‘Port Alberni’. Abbeyfield House and the Port Alberni RCMP detachment now sit on the site of the first hospital. This photo is one of nearly 24,000 in the Alberni Valley Museum’s collection. See more at https://portalberni.pastperfectonline.com/ (PN00109/ Alberni Valley Museum)
Lisa Tremblay instructs students from Bamfield Community School. (MIKE YOUDS / SPECIAL TO THE NEWS)

Portraits mask painful past of residential schools at Alberni Valley Museum

Visiting exhibition at Port Alberni’s museum open until May 8

  • Mar 17, 2020
Lisa Tremblay instructs students from Bamfield Community School. (MIKE YOUDS / SPECIAL TO THE NEWS)