The Rollin Art Centre’s annual giant book sale is this weekend. We have added an additional evening, Friday, May 8 from 6-8 p.m. and our usual Saturday, May 9. 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., at Echo Centre.
Books, jigsaw puzzles and videos, we have it all. You may pay for your purchases by cash, Visa and MasterCard. Stock up for the summer holidays, camping trips and cozy evenings by the fire.
Art in Schools exhibit
The Rollin Art Centre is excited to bring to you our current art exhibit. This unique exhibit happens every year, showcasing several elementary school classes who took part in the “Art in the School” program. This year, we have four classes from John Howitt, Gill, Eighth Avenue and Wood schools as well as students from Port Alberni Community Living. This wonderful exhibit will run until May 16. Join us for refreshments in the gallery on Saturday, May 9 from 1-3 p.m.
Mount Klitsa plant sale
Grab your bags and boxes! The Mount Klitsa Garden Club presents its 16th annual plant sale on Saturday, May 9 at the Rollin Art Center between 10 a.m. – noon. Annuals, perennials, shrubs and more!
Harbour City Big Band Dance
The Harbour City Big Band is made up of local musicians led by Greg and Sarah Fall and this show is their annual dance. It is being held at the Bavarian Center on 4th Ave. from 7:30-11:30 p.m. Come out and enjoy a range of great dance music. There will be featured singers this year from various music schools that began their singing career while at ADSS. Pete from Pete’s Mountain’s Meats is a fabulous sax player; the great Dave Auld on drums; some wonderful younger musicians, band teachers, about 20 musicians in all. Let’s support our local talent. This is a benefit for Bread of Life this year. There will also be a fun silent auction and door prizes. Tickets are only $15 each and can be bought from a band member, Pete’s Mountain Meats, and Bread of Life/Cornerstones Thrift shop.
What’s on at Char’s Landing:
• Friday, May 8, 8-10 p.m., Concert – John Gogo CD Release – ‘Coal & Wood (Revisited)’
• Saturday, May 9, 8-10 p.m., Concert – Cassie & Maggie MacDonald – Go West Young Girls! – Irish Trad
• Sunday, May 10, 8-10 p.m., Concert – Hart & Stone duo with Ellisa Hartman
• Tuesday, May 12, 8-10 p.m., Concert – Harpdog Brown
• Wednesday, May 13, 8-10 p.m., Concert – Duane Steele
• Thursday, May 14, 8-10 p.m., Concert – Daniel Nickerson
• Friday, May 15, 8-10 p.m., Concert – Ali McCormick
• Saturday, May 16, 8-10 p.m., Concert – Lucas Chaisson.
Melissa Martin is the Arts Administrator for the Community Arts Council, at the Rollin Art Centre and writes for the Alberni Valley News.