For decades, the Alberni District Fall Fair has been the highlight of late summer in the Valley, a way to bring the community together, while also give back.
This year is no different, with all your returning favourites, plus a whole host of exciting new offerings to delight the 19,000 people expected over four days, Sept. 6 to 9.
“The Fair is a gathering place for the community,” reflects manager Ann Siddell. “We have lots of attractions and entertainment, made possible thanks to hundreds of volunteers, but it’s all designed to give back to the community.”
From the Saturday morning parade along 10th Avenue – a free show for the community beginning at 11 a.m. – to special rate days to ensure the Fair remains both accessible and sustainable, the Alberni District Fall Fair continues its legacy of giving back. Thursday offers $3 admission from 5 to 11 p.m., with $1 from admissions for the first hour going to the Bread of Life food bank. In the midway, Thursday night rides are just $3 each.
Throughout the run of the Fair, admission for children age 6 to 12 is just $3 and for those age 5 and younger, it’s free!
And if you don’t want to carry your coat and other belongings around all day, visit the Junior Fair Members just inside the main gates for a coat/bag check.
Need more reasons to visit? Here’s 5 (plus 1 extra)
1. Salute our agricultural roots: From horse shows to Old McDonald’s Farm – always a draw for the younger fair-goers – 4-H displays and more, the animals and other agricultural displays are always a hit, reflecting the Alberni Valley’s historical connection for farming while supporting the next generation of growers and producers.
Be sure to stop by the Junior Board’s Selfie Booth, hosted in partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture with their new Buy BC initiative. Take a selfie and post with provided hashtags, then enter to possibly win with daily draws for certificates to a local restaurant, or even a $100 gift card from Quality Foods!
2. Enter to win…BIG: This year’s Fair raffle gives the winner a choice of two AWESOME prizes – a 2018 Ford F150 or $25,000 cash! Proceeds from ticket sales not only support the Fair, but also a number of user groups and non-profit organizations, Siddell notes. While on-site, be sure to also check out the Kinsmen raffle for even more opportunities to win.
3. Thrilling shows: Rev your engines Friday and Saturday for Global FMX Motocross, at 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. Friday and 1, 2:30, 4:30 and 6:30 p.m. Saturday, with tractor pulls on opposite hours. Come Sunday, it’s time for Logger Sports, with 5 Canadian championships on the line. There’s also a full music line-up and LOTS of family entertainment, including the including the Vancouver Island Mad Science Show.
4. Thrilling rides! West Coast Amusements returns with some all-new rides, including a brand new Ferris wheel that will share some awesome views of the grounds and Valley. Save $8 by picking up a $32 all-day ride passes from Port Alberni 7-11 stores and the Tseshaht Market until Sept. 8.
5. Be inspired: The home show section of the Fair is completely sold out, meaning you’ll also get some great information and inspiration ahead of the fall renovation season.
+1 more: Fair Food! And we haven’t forgotten about the food! From barbecue to Vietnamese – and yes, mini-donuts – there’s lots to keep your fuelled through your adventures.