Emergency crews in the Alberni Valley battled a chimney fire in Cherry Creek on Thursday afternoon.
Fire crews were called to a structure fire in the 6000-block of Horne Lake Road in Cherry Creek at around 4 p.m. on Thursday, March 7. The initial call reported that a chimney fire had spread to the roof of the house, but Cherry Creek Fire Captain Jeff Findlay said that the fire was “mostly contained” to the chimney.
“It was a bit warm [on the roof] but there wasn’t any damage to the shingles,” he said.
Several firefighters used a “chimney bomb” to extinguish the fire—a small device dropped down into the chimney that sprays a fine mist of water and works to slowly cool the structure down without causing damage. Others monitored the house with thermal imaging, and an extra crew was stationed in the attic.
“Just to make sure there were no extensions,” Findlay said.
All four fire departments—Cherry Creek, Beaver Creek, Sproat Lake and Port Alberni—responded to the call.