A house fire broke out on the corner of Montrose Street and Sixth Avenue shortly after 2 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 7.
“It started outside the building by the looks of it, in the shed and spread to the main house,” said Port Alberni Fire Department Chief Tim Pley. The cause is currently undertermined.
“The fire’s gotten into the attic.”
Fire crews were inside the home but were pushed out by the blaze. An automatic aid response was activated around 3 a.m. and a truck each from Sproat Lake and Beaver Creek came to support the three PAFD trucks on scene.
“Lots of heat, lots of smoke and the fire pushed us out,” said Pley.
“Right now (3:45 a.m.) we’re defensive. The roof’s going to come off and once it safe to do so we’ll get inside.”
Two elderly occupants and their dog are safely out of the house, Pley added.