The Port Alberni RCMP received reports of four different Canada Post super mail boxes having been broken into over the weekend. The primary area affected is in the Faber Rd and Pacific Rim Highway area near Sproat Lake. Over 25 compartments were broken into.
All residents are reminded to follow the guidelines from the Canada Post website on how to keep the mail you receive safe:
- Collect your mail daily and ensure the mail door is closed and locked.
- If you’ll be away, use the Hold Mail service to suspend delivery until you return.
- When you move file a change of address and advise your banks and other companies of your new address.
- If your mail fails to arrive, contact senders to ensure they have your correct mailing address. Report any concerns to Canada Post Customer Service.
- Shred documents that contain personal financial information, such as statements and credit card offers.
- If your box has been vandalized, please call Canada Post at 1-800-267-1177 so they can repair the box and maintain delivery.
People must remain diligent and if you see someone suspicious around your neighbourhood observe the activity, record the details & descriptions and report it to the police.
Anyone with information on this, or any other crime, is asked to call contact the Port Alberni RCMP at 250-723-2424 or the Alberni Valley Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or online: www.solvecrime.ca.