UPDATE: Catalyst fire caused by overheated bearing

An overheated bearing was the cause of the Catalyst paper mill fire the night of April 16.

An overheated bearing was the cause of the Catalyst paper mill fire the night of April 16.

“The Catalyst fire apparently started they believe by an overheated bearing on one of the rollers,” Port Alberni Fire Department Chief Tim Pley said. “They are replacing the bearing and the entire roller.”

The fire broke out at the No. 5 machine during regular operation just before 11 p.m. on April 26.

“You have this really big, heavy roller that’s flying around at a really high speed so when the bearings start to develop some friction they building up a lot of heat.”

Pley said that no one was injured and that Catalyst hope to be back in service today.

The News’ initial story can be seen here.

reporter@albernivalleynews.com

twitter.com/alberninews