Gov’t muscle vs. mussels

Filmmaker questions why more isn't being done.

To the Editor,

My name is Brynne Morrice. I’m a B.C.-based filmmaker, born and raised here. Last summer, I made a short film about the imminent threat that zebra and quagga mussels pose to our province.

At the time, I assumed that the government of B.C. must simply be unaware of this threat. I hoped that my film would help change this.

You can watch the five-minute film at www.protectourfreshwater.ca.

I know now that Christy Clark’s government is aware. However, for some reason, they have dedicated a mere $1.3 million, spread out over three years, to combat a problem that has cost more than $6 billion in North America so far.

Clark’s current action plan is entitled, “Early Detection and Rapid Response.” This is based on a glaring falsehood. In 25 years, in hundreds of lakes and rivers across North America, it has been proven again and again that eradication does not exist.

Zebra and quagga mussels, once in a lake or river, cannot be stopped. Knowing this, what exactly is the government planning to rapidly respond with?

Prevention is the only option. Period. Since all it takes is one boat, the only way to protect our province is to stop and inspect every single boat that crosses our borders.

Clark has said she will continue to review the current program of three roving inspection teams and see if more action is needed. Time is not a luxury we have. Anytime this summer or next, a boat could easily slip past the province’s very weak border defense and launch in our waters.

Then, the only option will be to sit back and watch as the mussels inevitably spread to every lake and river in B.C. The damage will be catastrophic, the effects permanent.

You have the power and the resources to prevent this. The people of B.C. are calling for action. This is an emergency and should be treated as such. Why do you delay? Why are you not doing the absolute maximum to protect our province?

Is B.C. not worth it to you?

Brynne Morrice,

Vernon

Just Posted

Merry Makers create new craft fair for Port Alberni

Hansen Hall fair begins as Work of Heart organizers retire

Port Alberni highland dancers invited to North American competition

Kali Nahorney received honourable mention medals in two categories

Government looks for public input on Cathedral Grove safety concerns

Port Alberni, Parksville info sessions invite public to help ‘shape future access’

ARTS AROUND: Enjoy magic and comedy at the Capitol Theatre

Transport yourself back in time for the McLean Mill Christmas Market

People flocking to Vancouver Island city to see hundreds of sea lions

Each year the combination of Steller and California sea lions take over Cowichan Bay

CFL will use extra on-field official to watch for illegal blows to quarterback

If the extra official sees an illegal blow that has not already been flagged, they will advise the head referee, who can then assess a penalty for roughing the passer

Older B.C. drivers subsidizing younger ones, study finds

ICBC protects higher-risk drivers, pays for testing costs

NDP leader Jagmeet Singh weighs in on Vancouver Island fishing ban

Singh and MacGregor say improving salmon abundance is important

Feds respond to sexual assault investigation at B.C. naval base

Report of Oct. 5 sexual assault on Vancouver Island base taken over by Canadian Forces National Investigation Service

EU divorce deal in peril after two UK Cabinet ministers quit

Negotiators from Britain and the European Union have struck a proposed divorce deal that will be presented to politicians on both sides for approval, officials in London and Brussels said Tuesday.

Northern California fire death toll at 56; 130 missing

Many of the missing are elderly and from Magalia, a forested town of about 11,000 to the north of Paradise.

Canfor to buy 70 per cent stake in Swedish Vida Group for $580 million

The privately held company has nine sawmills in southern Sweden with an annual production capacity of 1.1 billion board feet.

Saudi prosecutor seeks death penalty in Khashoggi’s killing

Saudi Arabia’s top prosecutor is recommending the death penalty for five suspects charged with ordering and carrying out the killing of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi.

Most Read